Sunday, October 09, 2011

 

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater:



Food & Drink:

Things have gotten experimental kod mene I had a look on the Internet and found out that pumpkin leaves are edible. Africans eat them, so do people in the Indian Sub-Continent. In fact, pumpkin leaves are referred to as 'Bangldeshi spinach' so I asked my neighbor Thomas for some leaves and went out for them. I blanched them yesterday. They are a bit spiny.. These are late season leaves. Today I de-veined them and chopped them up. This was a large handful of leafiness. I chopped some onion. I decided to add some sesame seeds. I threw in a little Weber's 'Kicken Chicken' and fried that in a teaspoon of margarine. When the sesame seeds started hopping, I threw in the chopped pumpkin leaves. I fried them a short time. This was delicious. A bit chewy, kind of fuzzy like stinging nettles, but chewier than spinach.

I will chop them finer next time. That should make them better.


Comments:
It may be that like nettles they're best eaten young. Apparently dipping te flowers in batter and frying them is also a delicacy though I've never had it.
 
I did make stuffed pumpkin flowers last week. Turned out delectable. I need to post my recipe.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter