Thursday, February 25, 2010

 

Poetry Slam

I am getting to a point where I can't take Teenage Drama Queen Poetry, or poetry about gangs and gang life, or poetry about drugs. I do not like loud performances, what it does is actually overwhelm the poem. Unfortunately, that is what was going on tonight, and advocated strongly. Call me old-school if you want, but I remember when a poem read at a reading could be allowed to stand on it's merits.

I feel like the three who did win at least deserved it. I liked their final works, even though there were elements of preacment about all three.

I don't come to a poetry reading to be ear-banged, if I want that, I will either listen to Rush Limbaugh, or watch one of the religion channels or go to the Mission for awhile. I have less mental space for that approach to things.

Maybe we need a poetry reading thing that is NOT a slam. I am going to raise that possiblity sometime. I liked that judges got switched around, that was cool, and the decision making was transparent, I very much prefer that. All in all not a bad night's entertainment.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter