Wednesday, May 27, 2009

 

Tiin Ma Club Cultrual Day* (correction)

So I did make it to this event and really enjoyed it very much! There was a young lady who did a Hoop Dance, and she explained about it. I didn't know that at one time it was a secret and very sacred healing ritual, and still is if it's done in that way. At Pow-Wows of course it's done in competition. I filmed most of that dance, but had to save room for the Alaskan dancers, who performed some utterly charming dances, about ducks, swans, friendship, an owl, sobriety and the real crowd pleaser, the seal hunt! The girls portrayed the hunters in a kayak, and a couple of guys were seals, a well built but thin guy got released as he was too thin, and a rotund young man was hauled in, it was truely charming.
I stuck around to make a dream catcher. I wasn't going to at first, but changed my mind, because my housemate S. has a birthday today and I didn't have enough money to get her something really nice. So I took the workshop and emerged with a pretty decent dream catcher that she loves, and the makeings of a second one.
You're supposed to give the first one away, for the same reason that you give the meat of a first kill or catch away. I learned stuff I never knew about the dream catchers and met some nice people.
Oh had some delicious elk jerky that a fellow from Wapato named Reggie Johnson makes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter