Sunday, April 26, 2009

 

The Ice Baby

I have a thing for Wooly Mammoths. I always have, ever since reading that the inhabitants of Siberia used to actually eat them if they found one in the ice and that part of one was sent by a troika equivalent of the Pony Express to Katherine the Great for her to sample. It is recorded to have been stringy and to have tasted muddy but oh well, meat that old, you expect it isn't going to taste so wonderful, you are just glad it's sort of edible. . .

Anyway, the National Geographic for this month had a long article about the baby Mammoth Ljuba. I was charmed by the pictures of her, and really I feel sad I can't watch the show about her, it's on cable. Maybe I can talk a friend with Cable into letting me watch or taping it for me. I hope so!

I don't watch a lot of T.V. since coming back. It serves no useful purpose, it doesn't usually entertain or inform me and it is a fountain of vulgarity. Sometimes I do watch the news or a good documentary if no one else is home to interfere.

I can't stand having the remote flicked from channel to channel. This is something that the Former S.O. seldom if ever did. I don't do it. It causes flickering which can set off migraines for me. Then again I can't that much blame anyone for wanting to change channels in search of SOMETHING!

Right now I am reading 'Reading Lolita in Tehran, and I got hold of another book called 'The Decadent Moderns' Also some self help for people who have had relationships go wrong. I got those two thinking of a couple friends of mine, but I in reading both see an uncomfortable bit of my self in them! So I am going to read them first, then pass them on to friends I think might need them or be helped.

It may be awhile. . . I don't like to hit people with stuff I think I may need as badly or even worse! :)

Oh almost forgot, there was a musician interviewed on NPR, he's going to Bulgaria as a cultural emmissary of the United States. He's in the Bluegrass tradition and who knew there's Bluegrass in Bulgaria! I hope they have him back on after he gets back. I'd love to hear his take on the trip. I hope he gets to see the Valley of Roses too!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter