Monday, February 23, 2009

 

Hurray for Bollywood!

Yesterday, my housemate and I went to see the movie 'Slumdog Millionaire'. We loved it! I realized that I understood all the cusses! :) So I was cuss translator. I did get some of the Hindi other than cusses, a lot more than I thought I would. I am NOT a Hindi speaker but knew a lot of folks from India earlier in my life.

Anyway, I loved the movie because it had thrills and chills, very cute kids, a great love story, and kind of awful crooks. The girls that played 'Latika' were all cute. Loved the traffic jam too.

The dance number at the end is a wonderful bonus. DO reapeat DO stay for the credits!

Here in the Gulag it was higher level zeks, mostly teachers and retired teachers in the theatre, I was surprised that several contingents of high school, early college age folks came.

There was one musical bit that was in Spanish and that reminded me of stuff by 'Emir and Frozen Camels'

The rest of the music was totally Bollywood and great.

Wonderful chase scenes involving the children.

Warning to parents, the life of poor children in India is vividly portrayed. So are inter-religious riots. At leat a couple guys run accross the screen on fire.

Also frankness but not graphicness about the sex trade in present day Mumbai.

Do NOT repeat DO NOT take little children. Do not take very sensitive children.

For those ones you may wish to check YouTube or something for the last dance number, whucg was ytterkt cgarnubg,

I was gratified to see this film got 8 Ocars including 'Best Film'. It was time India had a piece of this!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter