Wednesday, September 10, 2008

 

Taking care of loose ends...

Today I acquired a different suitcase, it was used previously by a friend across the road in Baščaršija, Hadži Mujo, in fact he used this suitcase on Hajj! It is in far better shape than what I arrived with. I probably ought to get some duct tape someplace. It still has the Hajj markings. People here really feel it will bring me special luck! It already is a blessing, you have NO idea how hard it can be to get decent, mid priced luggage here, not a lot of outlets, and the one in Baščaršija where I looked had just cloth wheeled bags, for varying prices, and the guy charges differently for foreigners than for Bosnians. My friends NEVER do that, they have the same price regardless!

So I tried going out to Robot Komerce, that was not for me! I had ankle problems, and then was sort of misplaced, again, not BADLY misplaced, but it was hot out, and I decided to turn back before I had any REAL trouble. Then Hadži Mujo showed up and offered the suitcase, it is a decent size, not too big, not too small, in excellent condition as well. So I paid him something because the man saved me endless hassle and some expense!

I have to go right back home and find the guarantee papers for a mobile phone that I got that never worked right. I'll take the suitcase home on this run then go back into town. I have other stuff to do.

Thanks to AR for a picture of the rose variety! If possible supply a name, I think I know what it's called, but I want to be sure, maybe I could try getting such a rose to grow at my daughters. If not at least I will know....



Comments:
The heirloom variety in the photo is called the "Cabbage rose" (Latin name: Rosa x centifolia). It has a distinctive fragrance and tightly packed, dense flowers with lots of petals.

A related heirloom variety of roses that's also traditionally used for rose petal jam is the "Provence rose" (Latin name: Rosa gallica). It should have the characteristic multi-layered blooms.

Check the Web -- there are suppliers in the US that can probably get you one of these two varieties.

The Web also has a number of recipes for rose petal jam - you'll have to pick one that works for you and fiddle with the proportions of sugar to petals to get the flavor just right.

With these two varieties of roses you'll get the fragrance, which is an essential part, and the right flavor and consistency of the cooked petals.

AR
 
Thanks AR, I may try to start a small rose industry at my daughter's! if she has anyplace not too close to the road where I could put the roses. I already want my son in law to make me a smoke house so I can do suho meso. Real suho meso is hard to get Stateside, and some friends gave me a recipe.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter