Friday, September 12, 2008

 

September 11 Anniversary

BHT1 ran a feature film based on September 11, and a documentary, which was the Gore Vidal documentary. Both BHT1 and FTV did run news coverage of the commemorations in the U.S. of this terrible event.

It should be noted most Bosnian people felt very bad for America and they sent people to help with DNA identification of victims.

BiH has thanks to the awful war, one of the best DNA labs in the world in Tuzla.

As well bin-Ladin is not a popular figure here.

Packing is proceeding apace. I am feeling very bad about leaving.

I had a meeting to settle all accounts with my landlord. Everything is settled to everyone's satisfaction. I told my landlady's brother, 'Don't worry, I am not going to write mean things about you on my blog!' Well not entirely true, he should have finished reading my manuscript! But all financial dealings went fine.

I asked him how the fast was going. I have heard Ramzan described many ways, but 'relaxing!' was a first! He said it was going o.k. for him and was 'relaxing'!

Me I don't know if I could handle it, especially this time of year! It is so hot and muggy, I am being really careful to be patient with anyone, in case they are fasting and not having an easy time. I am more careful walking around for the same reason. People are usually pretty mellow, but if it is hot, late in the day, maybe people will be a little more tired. Give someone that extra few seconds to count change, it's better for them and better for you!

T.V. programming has included the Para-Olympics. I have never seen the Para-Olympics on T.V. before, I watched the BiH team cream the Egyptian team. Both sides played very hard. Egypt was not easily beaten!

As well special programs for Ramzan, some religious, some about the culture here, and some musical are pretty common. The time for Iftar, (when to eat after a day of fasting) is shown on most channels fairly close to when it happens. A lot of cafes are open, but less busy until that time. Fasting is by no means 100%, there are exemptions for various reasons, travel, illness, pregnancy, etc. And of course Sarajevo has a non-Muslim population who are still going to go to cafes and sit in the shade, have a coffee and a smoke if that's what they are into. Some cafes don't open until Iftar time. A couple at least in Baščaršija have signs to that effect.

I went to the Sarajevo War Museum yesterday. Everything in there is for sale. I got the owner's number for a friend of mine who deals in militaria. I think he might be interested.

It had things from the recent war, and WWII, as well as Yugoslav equipment, and German equipment from WWII. Stuff like ruck-sacks, uniforms, patches, and of course ARBiH stuff.

LOTS of Dinars! I'll put up some pix.

Comments:
It's going to be a great shame when we don't have your Sarajevo bulletins to look forward to. Bon voyage!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter