Saturday, September 06, 2008

 

Huge WWII Bomb Found in Bihać

So some guy is running one of those digger machines, and he hits something hard, gets out to see what it is and realizes he is damned lucky to be ALIVE, instead of scattered from Hell to Breakfast all over town. He had found a great big WWII bomb, and the resting place perhaps of many other huge WWII bombs. I learned that between the Allies and the NAZIs Bihać was bombed over 50 times in the course of WWII.

The election process has started here, local elections. There's carefully labeled T.V. programming, with the warning that the program has Political Content. There are election posters. I saw an SDP one on one of the kafanas that has a lovely little enclosed garden area. There are short programs on how to vote, so that nobody ends up having a problem figuring out their ballots. Now if there were just someone to vote for!


Comments:
We have a similar problem in London. Is Bihac on clay? During WWII a lot of the German bombs just penetrated the clay without exploding. A couple of months ago they found a big one when they were stabilising the banks of the River Lea ahead of the Olympics. It turned out the bomb was actually sitting on a gas main as well. The Underground was massively disrupted and at one stage they thought they were going to evacuate 40000 people. At least the digger driver in Bihac knew when to leave well alone. I remember twenty years ago a big part of where I was living having to be evacuated after a digger driver found a bomb and decided to move it out of the way with his digger bucket.
 
Great--I've finally overcome my childhood fear of a snake coming up from the sewer through the toilet, and now thanks to you I'm going to be nervous as hell next spring when I'm digging out my old bushes and planting new ones.
 
Dear Kirk, I feel your pain, now I should tell you about the rat that came up the drain while my mother was bathing in Mexico! It really happened, huge bugger too!
 
Dear Owen, I don't know but it looked like clay soil to me. The digger operator probably heard the clink and said 'oooj jebi!' I am surprised he went close enough to look, the bomb was simply HUGE!
 
If it's not rude to ask, why was your mother bathing in a drain?
 
She was bathing in a perfectly conventional BATHTUB! Bathtubs do have drains you know! The rat came up from the water source, swam to the drain. The rat came up for air when my mother pulled the plug, and was getting ready to get out of the bath.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter