Thursday, September 04, 2008

 

Flashback City

Last night there was about a 3 point something earthquake. At the time I did not know it was an earthquake, at first I thought someone was trying to break into my landlady's place or upstairs, but no, and then the sound stopped and started again, that roar that sounds like a bunker buster bomb going off, or a big shell. A few friends of mine were here for the war, and while I wasn't here or elsewhere for anyone's war, I have some idea of the sound, so I woke up shakey.

That said, here is what really is bugging me today: Sarah Palin. I cannot abide the woman's voice or her manner. I do not want so much as the tip of her pinky anyplace near the thing that sets off the missiles or bombs, because she might get into a snit and just hit the thing. Seriously...

I know the sound of peri-menopausal P.M.S. when I hear it, and that is what I heard.
The sad fact in America is that women never get much power or influence until they are in the peri-mnopausal years and it's a rough time for most women physically. This woman has had six kids so it is bound to be a bit worse. Those of you who have experienced it do not need explainations of the physical facts, the hot flashes, the abnormally heavy periods, the worse than before P.M.S.

To try and work any job under those circumstances can be a brutal experience.

Then there's the social facts of menopause, which in my opinion are a bit worse in America. Everything is dealt with by pills and this situation sometimes requires sympathy and a calm ear. Not that available in America, and men handle this stuff badly because they don't understand.

The sad thing though is a woman who sounds like that in public is in trouble, and should NOT repeat NOT be holding high office, or seeking some high office, she needs a rest, not work.

The other thing is she is totally violating her daughter's right to privacy, and the daughter's boyfriend's right to privacy. This is NOT 'Meet the Fockers' This is an American Election for the most powerful office in America, and maybe the world.

Another thing, voice matters, how we speak matters, it matters FAR more than what we wear. I find no fault with Sarah Palin's appearance whether it is what she looks like or what she wears. She appears to be a typical middle class American woman. Nothing wrong with that.

What I can't endure is that voice. That voice sounds like generations raised in trailer parks. It is shrill and provacative, not at all calm or measured.

She sounds like every miserably bad female boss I ever had, and I have had several, some of whom at least SOUNDED better than her.

Back to the kids. To me there is no excuse to be in political life, have kids and preach abstinance and have a kid turn up pregnant. Presumably there is the money to take care of one's kids properly, and there ought to be the time for one on one discussions of life and sex.

I raised two children in often very difficult circumstances. Neither was pregnant or made someone else pregnant in their teens.

Both waited until they were self supporting to even explore the romantic side of life.

It isn't impossible to sit with kids and explain the FINANCIAL consequences of being pregnant young,or making someone else pregnant young for that matter, and why it pays to wait to have sex.

Young people are practical, you don't need to put the fear of God into them so much as the fear of lifelong extreme poverty.

Making a show of those kids is a disgrace! Far more of a disgrace than the girl being pregnant.

SRAMOTA!





Comments:
Did you listen to her acceptance speech? Both she and Rudy derided and mocked Obama's history as a community organizer. To me, that was a very telling moment. It went over well (of course) with the audience in the convention hall. But, it has also seemed to galvanized a lot of community organizers-and not in the way the McCain campaign would want either.
I think that it is a tactical mistake, not to mention plain meanspirited to diss Obama (and all community organizers) for working with downtrodden and actually trying to make a difference in their communities.
BTW: found this quote on a lot of blogs: "Jesus Christ was a community organizer; Pontus Pilate was a governor." LOL

The Palin pick and her speech shows two things: 1. McCain's strategy is to court the conservative religious-right base at the expense of moderate wing and independents. Instead of a highly competent woman like Olympia Snowe, they give us Sarah Palin, who has not shown any interest or knowledge of foreign policy, national security policy or major national issues. Which may be fine for the govenor of Alaska; but NOT for a potential VP of a 72 year old cancer survivor.
The Palin pick certainly excites the republican base; but I think it might just as well alienate independents & moderates.
Jack Trapper of ABC news did a focus group of republicans, democrats and independents in Michigan reacting to her speech. Republicans loved it (not surprising) Democrats hated it (not surprising) but Independents were really turned off by the speech. In contrast, Obama's speech gained inroads not only with hardcore HRC supporters but also moderate dems.
2. The McCain campaign strategy will be purely based on creating a faux culture war. That is their only path to victory. Not focusing on the issues (except domestic drilling and staying the course in Iraq); but attempting to turn this into a culture war. They aleady hired the guy who is responsible for the infamous Willie Horton ad.

BTW: Palin has 5 kids-not six!
 
But, setting aside the female solidarity, she hasn't taken a 28-gauge shotgun to anyone yet.
 
@Shaina, thanks for the note of correction, it looks like my reaction wasn't that atypical.

I really was reminded of a catty (Republican) Christian hypocrite co-worker I once had. She even spoke a good bit like Palin.

Another thing, aside from states bordering on either Canada or Mexico, Alaska is the closest state to a foreign country, and it is closest to Russia. She might need that shotgun if she keeps talking about Russia that way. Also not because I like her, which I don't, I hope she doesn't like sushi! Seriously, foreign policy might well matter a LOT if you are governor of Alaska!

I just felt that speech was yet another voice from the Trailer Park. I did not need it, and it is not helping me reconcile with having to report back to the Gulag!

I am about tired of the kultur kampf stuff out of the Republicans. Another thing, McCain might be a very brave man and deserving of respect, but he is hot tempered, and not likely to listen to good advice no matter WHO he is willing to include in his cabinet, and yes, I thought of Olympia Snow and even there was a female former governor of New Jersey who came to mind as a possible good pick for the other team, Christine Todd Whitman. She is intelligent, competent and makes a decent impression. But then again what do you EXPECT out of Republicans For Torture?

I did not get to see the entire speech, I saw a clip on Euronews. The clip I saw had me really highly agitto to use a Kinky Friedmanism.
 
@Owen, she's a governor, she can cover things up, we simply don't know....

As for female solidarity...I reserve that for REAL women!
 
I've got my Alaskan contacts out looking for dead quail.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter