Wednesday, August 06, 2008

 

The Passing of a Very Important Zek

Solženitsijn passed over the weekend, and is being buried today. I cannot say I agree with every single word the man wrote, or liked that he got so close to Putin, but, that aside, he was a good man, and the world lost something when he passed. I always used to have two copies of 'The Gulag Archipelago' in my home, one to lend people, and one for my own reference.

He was a brave and good man and will be missed.

It has been very hot, and therefore not a lot of fun to go out and the landlady and landlord have had workmen in to work on the place upstairs. Huge amounts of odds and ends were by the trash container this morning, and great hunks of wall were in the upstairs driveway.

I decided to record some of the noise to use as a ring-tone. I will assign it to people who annoy me!

I have been doing a lot of walking, when my ankle isn't bothering me, and I have lost some serious weight. That is a good thing. Today it might rain, I just about hope it does.

While I was coming down here today, I saw a vehicle belonging to the Piramid Sunce Foundation, YES THAT Piramid Sunce! So Osmanagić is hanging around someplace close by! Ha!

Day before yesterday was terribly hot, and walking home, I passed one of the many small mosques, this one is near where I live. A group of men were getting ready for prayers, so I sort of hung back, wanting not to intrude when they had to get ready to pray. One guy who plainly had been drinking had stopped to wash himself and get a drink, and he could see I was too hot and thirsty, so he urged me forward to get water. I think they all wanted to invite me into the mosque, but not being Muslim, I thought, maybe I shouldn't. So I thanked them and said I needed to get home.

It was nice to get home and have some bean soup and some corn bread.

Speaking of bread, I went to the shop to visit with one of the ladies who works there. The boss came in, and he treated me to a chicken sandwich, which was delicious, as it was made with half rye bread. A Russian girl came in, and bought some things. She had an Italian husband who wanted to see Sarajevo, so the whole clan piled into the car and went from Milan up to Trieste, and then drove south until they got here. She had not wanted to come and frankly had not had a wonderful trip. She said though that she did like Sarajevo. She was gorgeous. She managed to get a discount from the real boss on account of being both Russian and beautiful.

Karadžić has a new court date, the 29th of August. Plavšić has declined to testify.
There have been rumors that in fact Mladić finked off Karadžić in hopes of making things easier on himself. Other rumors about Mladić include that he is living in a Tito era bunker, and is desperately ill. Desperately ill would not surprise me. (Perhaps he was drinking Snake Oil, that or Kikapu Joy Juice!)
The E.U. has told Serbia that they have to arrest Mladić if they want into the E.U.

The bad situation of the American economy is still big news here. I hope that Obama wins by a landslide, if only because EVERY Republican administration has been a disaster for me.

Comments:
Mladic was at one stage supposed to have been seen at the Topcider bunker and two conscripts were killed after spotting him.

In 2005 Danas published a claim by Miroslav Petrovic who said he worked in Mladic’s security team that the two, Drazen Milovanovic and Dragan Jakovljevic, were killed (5 October 2004) because they saw him at Topcider when he stopped there to discuss Mladic leaving Serbia for "a more northern country" or BiH.

The Serbian prosecutor was supposed to be investigating but nothing much was happening. Thousands of pages of untranslated evidence were sent to the FBI but there was supposed to be something happening on the case before the end of 2007, but I don't know if anything has.

Mladic is said to have kidney failure and he's also said to have had a couple of serious strokes, but if he was really ill you'd imagine the need to access modern medical facilities would have flushed him out - who knows?
 
You've got a talent for getting on with people locally! I hope you're keeping a diary - in half a century's time you may turn out to be the Rebecca West de nos jours!
 
@ Owen, I am flattered you say so... Actually I am keeping a diary, it's fairly trivial stuff most of it. People will be disappointed!
 
@ on the whole Mladić deal, there are a lot of rumors, no hard facts available. Given his dietary and drinking habits,he is a prime candidate for kidney and heart problems, and if he is getting medical attention, odds are there are ways his tracks are being covered. I had not thought of all the dead of the last war here, as a resource for identity thieves, but it looks like that is one way the dead have been exploited.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter