Sunday, August 10, 2008

 

The Passing of Another Great Writer: Mahmud Darwiš

This morning I was very sad to see on Euronews that the great Palestinian writer Mahmoud Darwiš passed. He was a great friend of Bosnia Hercegovina, and a great writer. I felt like crying when I heard that news. He died in Texas, and his body is being shipped home for burial.

I did come out today, because I was stuck at home a couple days, partly due to weather, and partly due to my ankle. It wasn't bad, but I knew better than to attempt a long walk. The same storm that blew in night before last and gave Sarajevo a bit of excitement, killed two in Zenica, and downed trees all over the town, and also hit hard in Croatia, both the North AND Dalmacija. It was seriously nasty.

My landlord and landlady were running around taking in lawn furniture, saying good bye to guests, and so forth in that horrible rain. Speaking of my landlady, this morning when I went out, there was a gift for me, some home made Bosnian sweets and a chocolate bar! That was so kind of her!

They have been doing repairs upstairs where the English family lived, water was getting in the walls, and they want to fix that before getting new tenants.

I met a German from Saxony at the shop, he settled here on his military pension, EXACTLY as his Saxon forefathers did in Roman times in England! He married a Bosnian lady, he is learning Bosnian, speaks some English and I thought, it would be fun to have them over sometime. The S.O. loved working in Germany, and speaks very good German. This German guy is very fond of Bosnia and his life here.

That was nice, I gave him my number. So hopefully he'll call sometime soon and the S.O. and I can organize a small dinner party, a chili tasting or something! :)

The Olympics are on pretty much all the time, in fact BHT1, FTV and RTRS all have more coverage than neighboring Croatia's HRT1. It has been interesting seeing bits and pieces of the games.

I loved the opening ceremonies, it was like something out of 'Star Wars'! The fireworks were excellent. It was interesting seeing all the athletes parade in and looking for BiH, for Croatia, for Ireland, and the U.K. and the U.S.

I dislike the design of the so called 'Bird's Nest' it's too aggressively modern for me, but lit up it looks cool at night.

It is cooler the last couple days thank God!



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter