Monday, July 21, 2008

 

Hot and muggy again...

I am not in a mood for anything too weighty, but since cevapi came up in comments, I thought I should explain about Banja Lucki Cevapi. I don't know what the meat in them is, it ground meat in squares, and aside from that, is served on somun, with chopped onions and a couple feferoni. Feferoni are a lot like serranos back home. A serrano is a really hot small jalapeno. I used to eat them like other kids eat candy! I would steal them from the fridge at night, cold refritos and serranos, with a bit of cheese, I'd go right in the kitchen in the middle of the night, at five years old and just help myself!

Sometimes I grabbed a beer while I was at it! One time, I thought, I'd get some milk, it was a hot night, the milk wasn't right, it was sticky and tasted awful and afterwards I was very dizzy! That is because in the innocent looking milk bottle, there was pulque! so I was very drunk for such a little kid! Lots more so than having a beer with my frijoles and serranos and queso would have made me!

If my sister was awake, we'd both get stuff, she had a sweet tooth, so she'd get any chocolate, or cake or dulces that were in the way! :).

I slept really late after the accidental ingestion of pulque! I did not feel so good when I got up and my mother and father questioned me, I asked 'Why didn't someone throw out the bad milk!?'
They explained that it was pulque, and the really little milk bottle looking things were NOT for midnight snacks!

I walked into town and back up the hill. It has been humid, there might even be rain later.

Comments:
I'm sure I can guess what your headlines are going to be tomorrow.
 
I can't remember what somun is .. i'll ask my mom tommorow.

One of my daughters used to get up at the crack of dawn and go downstair looking for my "mljevena kafa". I had to take the cofee grinds out of the lazy suzan and put them in an upper cabinet. One morning I came down the stairs to find her sitting on the counter eating the cofee grinds and this is even more yucky - she was also eating my cigarettes. What a Bosanka :-)

And definately - I'll have the kafa and pita waiting for you to ease your culture shock if you ever come back.
 
Don't look silly in front of your mom! It's the lovely flat bread that you put all that stuff on! :)! She'll feel she's failed you!
 
Is it lepine? Different places use different words like where my mom is from they say hljeb for bread but in krajina they say kruh. My mom says Hrmazice and in krajina they say something like bedard. It gets confusing for me sometime. I know I've heard the word somun before so .. it must be lepine.

Also, all of the regions do not make the same foods or have different styles of making it. Like pita - there is something called pecena pita and when I got married I made my husband pita and he was so upset because he thought I was making pecena pita - I laughed and said "all pita is pecena" but later I discovered that pecena pita is when you stretch the dough and then put the raw dough over a hot plate to scorch it a little and then you layer the dough and filling mixture almost like a lasagna and tuck the ends under.
 
Well, the different words for things flummox me too! I don't know if somun and lipina are the same or not, all I know is it can be a BITCH going to the store, using the right word for something only to find out you should have said it some other way, because of the store owner's ethnicity. I can't always guess it! I now feel less bad that I confuse people too! ;)!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter