Tuesday, July 01, 2008

 

The Grasshopper Has Taken Off...

Well, my time as a keeper of a house-pet of the six-legged variety is over. I have been leaving windows open a crack early in the day. I did get some grass for the beastie to nibble on from the garden, but when I got in, he, she or it was gone. Which is fine, life is a lot better in the great out doors for a grasshopper. I am assuming it was female due to it's silence, it was my understanding only males sing.

Well that doesn't matter since it has gone on to lead a more normal life. Probably the house plant I have wasn't something it likes to eat, just as well, wouldn't want the land-lady perturbed! :), or the plant for that matter.

Today I had an interesting experience. There is a Roma lady who is friends with my two Baščaršija friends. She did a reading of coffee grounds for one of my friends. I have never seen that done as it is done here. A good reading takes awhile. She is a very thin woman, but is the mother of six children! I could not believe it, because she is so small and thin.

Saw a couple of niqabis today, and one yesterday, in the neighborhood. Rather a high count in the last couple days.

Night before last they had news of another land-mine casualty.

The silence of the flat without the tapping of the grasshopper hopping here and there was strange.

I watched 'Pretty Baby' last night. That was a well made film but I can see why it was controversial! It was a film I didn't see when it came out for a number of reasons. The costuming was accurate, the music was good, but it was about a creepy subject, child prostitution. So I was surprised it even got shown here, and it has been a couple times on different channels since I got here, always it has been shown very late at night, with a parental warning.

I had to laugh when I heard that in the Netherlands, smoking tobacco in bars and cafes is going to be illegal, but in the designated coffee houses, marijuana is going to remain legal! Here in Sarajevo the people think that is bloody ridiculous! One internet cafe I regularly goes to permits smoking, most sidewalk cafes permit it, and even some indoor places do. A staggering number of Bosnians smoke.

It started off a little chilly today, I carried my wind-breaker, in case of rain, but then it heated up. I shall need a shower when I get back home.



Comments:
"Night before last they had news of another land-mine casualty."

I researched this and found it happened it in Turije:

"Ismet Tagic, 48, and Nihad Dagic, 24, were chopping wood on Sunday evening when Tagic stepped on a land mine that killed them both. Two other men were slightly injured from the blast in Turije, some 120 kilometers north of Sarajevo, police said."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/30/europe/EU-GEN-Bosnia-Landmines.php

Further digging claims Turije was an HVO (Croatian military) camp near the town of Konjic.

Croat sources have a bit about it when they were attacked by the Bosniak soldiers in 1993:

"The Croat villagers of Turije, Zaslivlje and Zabrdje remained at their homes regardless the fierce attacks by B-H Army soldiers."

http://www.hercegbosna.org/engleski/konjic.html
 
Thanks Ida...
 
Terrible. I have a vague memory of hearing that based on the number of mines that were laid and the clearance rate it would take more than a hundred years to clear the scourge from Bosnian soil.

It's like the stories that still turn up every now and then about children playing in the woods in North-Eastern France who occasionally get killed by old ammunition left over from World War I.

My journey on the Underground a month ago was disrupted by a bomb from WWII that a digger widening the River Lea canal for the Olympics came across that was still live and sitting on a gas main. It took four days to deal with it by a controlled explosion but in the end all was well. (London sits on a basin of clay so a lot of the bombs aimed at Docklands just went straight in and never exploded, they just sit there till someone does some redeveloping).
 
I am not sure how many readers remember, but when I was in Dublin, a trip to visit Kilmainham prison was disrupted by a similar find, a WWII bomb. I used to watch a series from the BBC called 'UXB' which was about the brave people who deal with the consequences in Britain of unexploded bombs. In the very normal outrage about land-mines and cluster bombs, we often forget the damage done by just regular bombs and bullets that didn't explode.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter