Monday, July 14, 2008

 

Frustration....

I got a phone card that is very good, or at least was last time I used it. 1024, which is available in post offices here, 24KM will get you 100 minutes to the U.S. Unfortunately, I ran into problems with it last night, and was given some slightly confusing directions on how to solve the problem. I also wanted to call my bank's 800 number and could not make that work. Given that I'd sit on hold probably I wanted to use the card, and it didn't work, then I tried to call my daughter, and usually that DOES work, but it didn't last night, and I am gizzard ripping mad. Apparently some phones here won't handle 13 numbers and it takes that many to call the U.S. altogether. Calls WITHOUT phone cards are fantastically expensive if you call overseas ever. So needless to say, I am frustrated, I was told by the guy that there are phones that won't handle 13 numbers, just won't. This wasn't welcome news, apparently the house line is one of those damned phones that won't.

I was told to press the green button first, well my house line hasn't GOT a green button. Apparently picking up the handset and waiting for a double beep does the same thing, according to the guy at 1024. NO it doesn't or I would not HAVE this problem. Anyway, it looks like I need to make a few calls the hard way and I am Most Annoyed.

O.K. that out of the way, stuff I meant to mention yesterday, but got distracted.

Near to Maglaj, two professional de-miners got killed on the job. This is awful of course, not only because these are men doing a much needed, and unselfish form of work, but for the families as well. I have no words to describe how I hate land-mines. They are up there with nukes on my hate list.

href="http://IMAG0231

Dodik has gotten his foot tangled with his mouth again. I really think it is disgusting that people in State pay bite the hand that feeds them. In the U.S. probably the mandatory mob with torches, pitchforks, scythes, and a pot of tar and another pot of feathers and a long rail would have been along by now if the government didn't do something. I feel angry that it is o.k. to riot about football, but no one is protesting this man, not even the people he insults.

The other thing I meant to mention is the show about birds. I love birds, the world would be a poorer place without them. The latest one was some buzzards, they have feet bigger than a large man's hands, they are huge and close to extinct in both Bosnia Hercegovina and Croatia now. Part of the problem was they were hunted a lot before, in the Austro-Hungarian era, and then again more recently. The other problem is the decline in stock-raising, the numbers of sheep, goats, cattle and horses are way down in BiH and the buzzards live off animals that die of themselves, which happens. Muslims at least, are forbidden from eating an animal that dies of itself. Most Christians probably wouldn't eat such an animal either, it's kind of up there with road-kill.

With fewer animals, their keepers watch them more, the animals don't go up in the hills and get into trouble, and the buzzards don't get to eat.

I was telling my landlady's brother that I'd also heard that the buzzards fared badly in the war, and probably this was the first time I ever heard of a war being BAD for buzzards. Then made a remark that if Karadzic got eaten by the buzzards it might be the first useful thing he did with his life! This made him go red and start to laugh. It was one of those 'I don't want to laugh, but I can't help it!' laughs.

Filed under 'Stuff you would probably NOT see on T.V. back in the States':

They showed a place where people had donated the carcasses of animals that died by themselves, cows, horses, sheep, etc, and the exposed ribs and flies were clearly visible, as were the great numbers of flies. The group which looks out for buzzards had placed these carcasses up out of the way of people, bodies of water, and anyone who could be disturbed by the smell, but in a handy place for the buzzards. This probably would not have been shown even on the more graphic nature shows back in the States.


You just can't have a really clean eco-system without buzzards. Spain has been helping by sending some from Mallorca. Spain has done a lot of helpful things for BiH, and frankly having these magnificent birds back on the job would be good all around. Not just for eco-systems, but even for tourism. People do go specifically to see buzzards.

Comments:
Scotland has less than the expected population of golden eagles and the assumption is that gamekeepers have been poisoning carcases.
 
There aren't gamekeepers here, but people do like to shoot at large birds, storks have been slaughtered wholesale due to this and who the Hell is going to eat a stork or a buzzard?
 
I once helped thwart a gentleman that was trying to stuff a Canada goose (live) from the lake in the park into a black bin bag. (Gent walked away to rejoin his family before driving away in a BMW - repayments must have been pretty heavy!)
 
@Own, I have had goose before, twice in my life, my mother did a Christmas goose one year, just because it was available, and for a change from the usual turkey, then I was given a goose in San Francisco for Christmas, it was a small goose. I cooked it by boiling it, and then stuffed it, because the oven didn't work in that apartment. It didn't work because there were mice who sometimes nested there. I was afraid to even turn on the oven.
I can't say I'd go out of my way to eat goose again. It doesn't taste that good to me. I am not crazy about turkey either. I really only like chicken or quails. I don't eat quails due to the price, but would if I had the chance. Chicken however I really like, especially t he way they cook it here.
Something similar to the incident you described happened in Yakima, a friend of mine used to be sort of a grounds keeper at one of the parks there, and a small rather nice house came with the job.
She caught a guy trying to stuff a PAIR of geese into the trunk of his car! He was there feeding the geese daily, and I guess he thought he had privileges... He too had a fairly nice car. Not a BMW, but nothing shabby.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter