Saturday, July 05, 2008

 

Brew Free or Die!

I am really glad I did not yet delete my film clips from my camera, I saved them because sometimes they don't process on the first try on Flikr. I wish that weren't so, but it is.

@Shaina, raspberry mead is mead that is done with raspberries, it was traditional in Poland long ago.

I did not know this when I began making mead, or wine for that matter. ...

I started off making raspberry wine very accidentally. I lived with my then teen-aged son and daughter in an old orchard shack in the Yakima Gulag, the back yard had raspberry bushes which were very productive. After eating a lot of raspberries one day, the seeds got to me.... quite badly, so I decided to juice the berries. I put the juice in the fridge, and the juice fermented on it's own. My son got some of the juice out and it was fizzing when he opened it. I investigated this and discovered to my delight, it had turned into pretty decent wine. So I began making the raspberries into wine on purpose, but the bread had to be kept someplace else, because if it were kept near the bottles of fermenting raspberry juice, the bread began to taste like nail polish remover. Later, I got hold of my first recipe for mead, and then a recipe book that mentioned Polish raspberry mead, and the rest, as they say is history.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter