Sunday, May 25, 2008

 

We Are One With The Cheese!

****Big FAT Spoiler Alert****

Again I have to congratulate Serbia on really knowing how to put on a show! Unfortunately Goran Bregovic's band did not get shown on Sarajevo T.V. which is a pity since they are good, and Brega does have ties with BiH!

The bad news for Bosnia-Hercegovina was that Laka did not win. The good news is that Laka made 10th place, in part thanks to Serbia! As well a lot of Bosnians voted for Serbia's entry, I don't blame them a bit, the Serbian entry was very beautiful as music. It had an epic feel, and the singer was great! It wasn't in the least bit silly or crazy, which I liked. Don't get me wrong, I liked Laka's brand of silly and crazy, and I liked the nutty French entry.

The Latvian entry did well. I am sure all the Jolly Rogers flags went down well in Belgrade.

Azerbaijan sent in a wonderful folk ensemble which I LOVED, I frankly HATED their official entry, but the folk ensemble charmed audiences all over this region.
Azerbaijan did well with people in this region, despite the fact it was the wrong sort of weird for my tastes. I think they got votes for effort, and because they are first time entrants.

Croatia and Bosnia helped each other. I loved that Croatia had the guts to send in an old guy who dressed like a Mafija Don, he was really cute, especially the bit where he tries to do the mix table action with the Victrola, and the bit where he throws down his cane. I found it a charming entry, and was glad they did not do too awfully badly.

I'm glad Albania's entry wasn't skunked totally either, because the girl singer, while she and her band had rather tasteless costuming, were good!

Spain's act really amused me! I LOVED it, it was crazy in an almost Mexican way! Baile Chiki Chiki started off as political, and the words had to be changed because political isn't really allowed. Serbia kind of got away with political, because the singer refered to Vidovdan, 'wake me with kisses on Vidovdan' and she sort of evoked the Kosovo Maid what with her almost Medieval costuming and the guys lying fallen at her feet.

I thought Laka and Mirela gave a brilliant performance! Of course I loved it! How could I not!

Greece and Armenia both did well. I loved their singers, very cute girls, c'mon even us girls love cute girls!

Marija Serifovic did a wonderful performance of her last year's winning song, I loved the dancers. She did not wear the pink dress her friends got her. She wore a suit. I don't like the new arrangement of her song, 'Molitva' I liked it better the old way. It had a sevdah feel about it that I liked, the new arrangement is too Turbofolk and it spoils the whole thing.

Ruslana did a set before the actual contest too. Who could resist Ruslana? I guess there are people out there who could, but not me. She did a tribute to the much beloved, Tose while she was at it.


Russia of course won, I did not like their entry, but I liked how it was presented.

Turkey did not do badly, and Turkey gave some points to BiH, which was nice of them. BiH benefited from points from the Scandinavian countries.

I was sorry to see that Great Britain's entry did so badly, I liked the guy, he is a good singer, and he put on a good show. He deserved better! Besides he was a perfect Pepeljuga prica (Cindarella story for those of you in Rio Del).

I am staying in the neighborhood, because I feel tired today. I want to get some writing done . I am just in Club BIT. It is a beautiful sunny day here in Sarajevo.

Comments:
I felt a lot more tolerant of the silliness after listening to an account of life in Somalia on the radio. I've not been much of a fan of EVSC but there seemed so much cheerfulness this year (apart from the Albanian girl being booed and a lot of Serbians seem to have done their best to repair the damage) and we need a bit more cheerfulness to help us deal with the rest.
 
TOOOO RIGHT! It is a question of how well it is done! I did like the contest, and it was a welcome diversion. I am sorry the U.K. didn't do better, I did vote for the guy, because he was less tastelessly Ghetto than the Czech entry and he was a good singer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter