Saturday, May 24, 2008

 

If anyone in Sarajevo has a reason to riot:

It would be the WOMEN! Seriously, after yesterday, I feel like it!

but now a word from our sponsors:

why to go to Club BIT

Beautiful coffee,


O.K. I was alright, because I was in town early and pretty much stayed away from the immediate scene of the disturbance, I was totally FINE, totally un-bothered, except I noticed when I went to the usual meeting place I use, an unusually heavy police presence and Sarajevo's Finest looked a little tense. However since I do not fit the profile of a football idiot, I was not even given a second glance.

I'm not totally ugly for a woman of my years, so second glances are not yet totally rare in my life. . . but I digress. ...

The riot was way worse than I even knew, a thousand people or so were involved, flares, bottles, and pavers got thrown at the police, who quickly sent for back-up. Your less than intrepid editor was totally unaware of the fuss, having been pleasantly employed in Bascarsija with the pleasant task of trying out Banja Lucki Cevapi, (more later on that subject) and then visiting my lovely Bascarsija friends, and with the brother of my landlady, who seemed depressed. Maybe he knew the true extent of the riot? Seriously? I should ask ako Bog daj!

Then I went to my meeting place, it was by then raining a lot, and I got first a Bosnian coffee, delicious but over soooo fast even if you go slow, so my next order was a hot chocolate which was not only bigger, it was beautiful and lovely, and did I mention delicious? I sat, and 18:00 the meeting time for one student who was a firm appointment, came, and went so I sent an S.M.S. and asked if he'd been delayed. All very civilized. He said he was horribly sorry that he'd been called out of Bosnia on an urgent matter. I did not immediately reply. I was far too angry to send anything resembling a civilized, lady-like or even coldly correct reply. I frankly was seriously angry. I haven't been so angry in YEARS. Now people who know me well, know I am mostly a pretty easy-going person. Then the other person who had told me he might or might not make it, S.M.S.ed me so I asked if he were going to come or not. I needed to know as the rain was by then pretty distressing, unless you were one of Sarajevo's Finest, they must have been really grateful for the Divine Intervention! I just wanted to know if I needed to get myself a second hot chocolate and hang on, or if I could go and bitch briefly about my rotten luck in the company of my friends and then go on home. This guy told me he had a sudden out of town emergency as well. Now That two people who probably don't know each other both had sudden out of town-ness was beyond probability Very Much! So those of you who are older may know the phrases 'slow burn'? I was in a 'slow burn' status. I was seriously pissed off as mentioned earlier. I did go say hello to my friends, and t hen as it was raining, and I already have two umbrellas, one was home, slid accross the greasy paving stones to the cab stand just past Sebilj. I noted a poor little dead pigeon on the ground, which only made me feel worse. I hate seeing dead animals.

I got home, and then I sent a stiffly worded S.M.S. to the guy who missed a firm meeting and said that if he really had to be out of town, however urgent he was, he owed me a call, and he should realize, if he is learning English in order to work with Americans, he had better do a lot better. I said I didn't want to be rude, but we Americans have a saying that 'Time is money' and translated it into Bosnian. I think I made a good job of it. He replied in not such very bad English, and appologized abjectly. Later on, the news was on.

The lead story was the horrid riot, and then that 'Snijeg' won a Grand Prix at Cannes. The bad news overshadowed the good news this morning on Euronews. The fantastic accomplishment of a group of Bosnian Muslim women, in making a Grand Prix film was totally overshadowed by a bunch of stupid football punks.

I got to thinking another thing. Neither man was out of town! I have had difficulties making and getting calls out of BiH on my mobile, even within BiH. S.M.S. seems to work better than an actual call, but my luck there is sporadic at best.
I bet both those guys, mistakenly thought I was FAR braver than I am in my wildest dreams and I bet both needed a really good story lie in order not to feel totally dickless in front of me a middle aged, not very tough American woman.

I have my own very gentle interrogation method, no pain, no mean-ness, and I can tell you, it works, even without alchol. I will get it out of them, one way or the other. I KNOW what was really going on! Yes I DO and they can't hide it. I would not have blamed them for not showing. I almost sent out S.M.S.es to ask if they felt o.k. about coming but on the news at B.'s shop, she and I heard that the police had very successfully broken up the un-announced demonstration of angry football idiots. Had I been home, I probably would have just stayed in the neighborhood.

I put a new ad in aimed at getting high school aged students. If that doesn't work, I am at a total loss for the time being.

Comments:
How about trying the British Council?
BC Information Centre is at
Ljubljanska 9,Sarajevo - tel. +387 33 250 220. Americans usually have some sort of equivalent US Information Centre. Logical places for anyone wanting to find English language resources.
 
Thanks for the address, I did look for them on one of my earlier 'get lost in Sarajevo' days, but they had moved or something, and I could not find the address. It is quite common for fully furnished flats to not include a phone book. I haven't wanted to purchase one as I'd then have to carry the bloody thing home, and that seemed almost not Worth the Bother.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter