Sunday, April 13, 2008

 

Sunny today in Sarajevo

I still feel a little less than wonderful. I was trying to log into th e Obama site, and basically I can't without doing a contribution. I have nothing against that except that if you use internet cafes that has to be done CAREFULLY so that shoulder surfing doesn't become a problem. But I did hear from Democrats Abroad, there are no members of Democrats Abroad here, not right now, I'm IT, and the other ones that will be in Sarajevo will be Obama people. Anyway, I am frustrated about the site, I understand where they are coming from, bandwidth aint free and people need to pay, but right now, it is physically not so possible.
Anyway, I can do that tomorrow in a less populated internet cafe, with the privacy screens up, or come here when it is less busy.
Sundays are ALWAYS busy in here.
I'm at Club BIT. They lowered their prices and are still a good internet cafe.

Yesterday, my second attempt to reach the S.O. was sucessful. He sounds terrible. Sometimes when people have been in the hospital a long time, they need to rest from being in the hospital, and he was really very ill.
He did not seem to understand that with the flu, and no help getting there, going to see him wasn't possible. Signage here can be a real problem, too small even with glasses.
I really don't like getting lost in hospitals! The one here is HUGE. You could fit every hospital in the Yakima Valley in there, and still have lots of room for three or four more hospitals. The relative that is my contact person was simply too busy to take me, sometimes he couldn't even go himself and then I kept getting sick myself. I explained that to him and it was like he did not understand.
This is not like him. He doesn't want to see anyone with a cold or the flu normally, because he has always caught cold or the flu a bit more easily than average.
His voice did not sound right, and he sounded just generally tired. I told him I would come see him when I myself was well, and knew for sure he couldn't catch anything from me. I mean it too. I just don't dare right now. I don't want to cause him further illness, he hasn't had the best of times.
I will call him every day until I can go see him.I also found some nice single serving soup packets. They might not have them in his area. For some reason they do around here, and they have smaller tins of the lovely creamed herring with dill. He liked that stuff one time when he came over, I fixed it and potatoes and it was good, but the big tin is too big for just him. He wouldn't be able to eat it all.
And if it's o.k. for him to have it, of course I'll take him some medovaca.

I went and got more in the Markale while I was out yesterday, and some rose-hip syrup from the same guy. The Markale can be chaotic at the best of times, but it was relatively quiet this time so I got to talk more with the guy who makes it. He is from Hercegovina. I am guessing he is a Bosnian Croat. He makes not just all the traditional Bosnian forms of alchol, and sells them, he makes syrups from things like cherries, rose-hips, pomegranate and all are of high quality. It isn't that I finished the other medovaca, there is actually a third left, I just wanted to make sure there was enough on hand.
Really it is excellent!
The guy asked me what part of the U.S. I am from and I told him, and said 'Imade mead back home but I can't find the right sort of yeast here.' and I explained that making medovaca was not possible for me because in the States you have to have a special permit to have a still, and it gets to be a lot of hassle. He told me his father had lived and worked in the U.S. for 15 years, Bridgeport, Philadelphia, New York and Chicago. Probably did factory work.
All his labels are hand made, he uses bottles from other things. I should find out if he'd like my old glass bottles.
I have errands tomorrow which have to be taken care of. If I actually AM over this flu, and it is not rotten out, I will go see the S.O. if he is up for a visit.
Otherwise I will just call him.
I need to go and put his credit into his mobile phone for him. That process frustrates the Hell out of him. It involves a sequence of 14 numbers. If he had his phone on and next to him in bed, he would not need to get up to answer the house line. Actually he doesn't get it that you don't need credit to receive calls, or to call say, an ambulance or the police. I never leave home without mine for that very reason. He probably ought to never leave the ROOM without his.
So he is home, but I do not think he is really and truly out of the woods yet.

Oh results of the ad, one wrong number from outside the Sarajevo area, and in the middle of the night some drunk guy called and told me in heavily accented English to perform an anatomically challenging act upon myself if you know what I mean and I think you do.

My ad is located next to another ad which includes a picture of a really pretty lady who does need to put on some clothes. He may have thought he was calling her!
Of course I hung up and then he tried back. His number was a mobile number also.
All I can do is make not of the number and not answer. I may put it in contacts with an unflattering name.

That way I won't answer. I'm sure rude phone calls are illegal here, they are most places, but with mobile phones there is enough anonymity that probably BHTelecom can't do anything.

I am really glad I put my mobile number and not the house number. My mobile number only reveals that I have a mobile account, and the ad reveals Sarajevo Kanton, nothing else.

I watched 'Pecat' last night. It gets better all the time. I was too tired to stay up for 'Sleeper Cell' which I like, despite it needing a little work. I find Darwin a sympathetic character and the last episode I saw, with the Afghan was very good.
But it is on too late for me. I am not the night owl I once was.

Comments:
Don't do anything at an internet cafe that involves disclosing your personal and financial information. You don't know what's got itself inside their machines.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter