Monday, April 07, 2008

 

Sunny in Sarajevo

Last night, and most of yesterday while I was at home I watched documentaries and films about the war here that were shown in honor of Dan Oslobođenje Sarajeva, and that included half of 'Saveršen Krug' all of 'Nafaka', second time. Reception is decent enough at my present flat that I could get a better look at the second film. 'Saveršen Krug' is the story of a drunk, who lives in Sarajevo alone, his family left and he is alone, then he finds two orphan boys, one is deaf and a dog, the dog has been injured in the war and doesn't have the use of it's back legs, so they build sort of a cart so the dog can pull herself along. The filming is great. The drunk is played by Josip Pejaković, who is a wonderful actor, and the kids were terrific, the DOG was terrific.
See it if you get the chance! Warning, it is a war film, people die, people suffer, do not expect it to be light entertainment! That said, it is not pointlessly bloody.
'Nafaka' is a great film, I had not realized how Bollywood part of it was. In color you see that. That is all I can say without spoiling the film. Anyway it is a good film but again, do not expect light entertainment.
In both cases, your troubles are going to be set into perspective big time, unless you like live in Darfur or something.
There was a documentary called 'Sjećas li se Sarajeva' (Do you remember Sarajevo?) A lot of it was people's home videos of their daily life. It is very gritty and utterly terrifying because you see what a war does to a city and it's people in grim detail.
I am finally over the flu! I had a merry run around today placing one of my ads. Then I was STARVING hungry. I went for a steak. The place I picked is mostly for tourists, but the smell of meat cooking was irresistible there. The waiter spoke English, and I had the best steak I ever had in Sarajevo. Steak here can be a bad thing!
This was the Bosnian House, the waiter out front wears male Bosnian traditional dress, he is older and it makes him look really cool. The younger waiters are in uniform also, but something different. This place is reasonably priced, but upscale. They have alcohol if you want it. I didn't as I don't customarily order even a beer if I am on my own. The waiter was a BIG Obama fan. That it turns out is rare here! He however thought Obama is Muslim. I was in the middle of explaining that no he isn't, when a policeman came in. People here clam up in front of policemen. So the discussion came to an abrupt end. I ate my steak. The policeman was only in to get a cola, and continue on his beat. Baščaršija is very well policed. It has video camera surveillance now. Given how common pick-pockets and beggers have been in the past, this is welcome by most people in the area.
In America the A.C.L.U. would be all over this! :)
Segregation has been big news here. In a number of towns, Muslim kids and non-Muslim kids attend school in different shifts! In one town the parents want a totally new school because the school in use now, was the concentration camp during the war and they would just as soon not have to be reminded of what happened there.
It was ironic to me to sit home, watch stuff to do with the war, and also some news items about the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. King, and then see in a totally new country, 'segregation, seperate but equal'
I far prefer 'Brotherhood and Unity'!
The S.O. is still in the hospital, it has been 3 weeks. I have not been well enough to go see him. I had the flu and then caught cold again and again. Finally 3 days in a row I woke up without congestion or a cough! So now I can go see him. I will call his relative who has been my contact person and see about that. Then again, as long as he has been in, he may be out soon. So far no news on that front.
I should know something soon.

Comments:
Just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying your blog posts about living in Sarajevo.
I occassionally go on Sarajevo-x.com to read (with the help of a computer translator) what people are saying about the U.S. elections.
Thanks for reminding me about "Do you remember Sarajevo?" that is one of the films that I wanted to see.
Danis Tanovic's new film sounds interesting as well.
Sorry for the someone "disjointed" comment-I haven't commented for a while, but I always enjoy your post.
Shaina
 
Thanks for the kind words, frankly a lot of my posts have been disjointed, so I don't mind if comments are disjointed! I am in NO position to complain! )
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter