Tuesday, April 29, 2008

 

Sunny and nice in Sarajevo!

It is nice out today, I had some stuff to do in town, so I got out kind of early. There are two D.P. stores in the neighborhood, one turns out to be the home of SHRIMP! quite hard to get in Sarajevo, these were frozen shrimp and I am going to do something involving shrimp soon. I also discovered it is the cheapest place to get chocolate! Always a plus.

Anyway, I stayed up way too late again. I watched 'Ace Ventura, Pet Detective', very funny in a cheesy way. I watched part of 'Palindromes' I never heard of it, lots of movies I never heard of get shown here. I think that The Ministarstvo Veselje, Central Committee AND Army Council all agreed that this film did not belong in The Soviet of Washington, or the Yakima Gulag. In fact this movie made me scream for export controls, as it was fairly sick in places. Maybe they were trying for some satire, but really good satire it wasn't. Keep this film far away from small children! I will not burden my readers with some of the sick stuff that was in th is film. Just trust me, it wasn't fit for human consumption.

Ace Ventura on th e other hand was hilarious, I loved when the slumlord shows up and Ace's personal pets are all hidden. Then the slumlord goes away and out pop all sorts of cool critters! Penguins from the fridge, a dog or two, an otter was hiding in the toilet, some cats, a few highly amusing birds.

Speaking of birds, one of my favorite little between shows fillers on FTV is a show called 'Ptice Bosna i Hercegovina'. Lovely information about all birds that either live here year round, or are just passing through. I try to watch it notebook in hand, partly because I like birds, and partly because the words for many birds are not present in TCLD (The Crappy Little Dictionary)

I finally know for sure the first name of the guy on 'Positivna Geografija'! His first name is Nisvet. He looks like he would be right at home on the Yakama Rez! I love the show, and all it does is get better. He made a trip to Linz, Austria. Linz is a lovely town, sadly famous for being the birthplace of Adolf Hitler. Nisvet however was visiting BiH diaspora types, and exploring the interaction of people from BiH and Austrians.

I also found out what place is the most popular for suicide here in Sarajevo. There was a picture of it in the paper. Most great cities have a favorite 'jumping off place'. I suppose it is better for the cops and the general public if everyone knows where to go 'check out', 'cash in their chips' etc.

Oslobođenja has proved to be a FAR better place to put an ad than Oglasi! I have not got numbers as far as response, but the people who have responded have indeed been more serious! Once I have a third one, I will start the first class off. I am glad to note that so far the interest is mostly in conversational English, which I am quite good at. They asked APPROPRIATE questions, like what State in the U.S. I am from. I don't mind that, it is so they have some notion what accent I have. No one has asked my age, or what I look like so far *knocks on wood*

I told them all so far, that once I am up to 3 I will organize a brief meeting in town. I also said, conversational works better in small groups, AND given that the prices of classes given by individuals have gone down, I need small groups to make it worth MY while! I think 3 or 4 at a time is good. I hope I can build on the first group.

The S.O. is very much on the mend. He seems less depressed. He still gets dizzy, but I suspect that this problem is a little less. I chewed him out for taking the tram and the bus to my place. The tram at his end is fairly empty if you time it right, but the bus from downtown is SO crowded, and even though Sarajevans give old guys who don't look well a seat, I mean really they are good about it! Still when a bus is REALLY crowded, that isn't always possible! Trams can look like something in Mumbai, with people hanging off them at crowded times of the day!

My Baščaršija friends are planning a buying trip to Turkey soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter