Saturday, April 26, 2008

 

Sretan Vaskrs to those of my readers who are Orthodox!


Because I know some of you DO sneak the occasional peek at these humble pages! :)

So The S.O. made it to my place. Thanks to one of my Bascarsija friends I had a lot of Stinging Nettles and made therefore, Irish Stinging Nettle soup, and he ate like two bowls of it, and later I made chicken soup, just for a change, threw in some vegetables. We watched movies, and I did see signs of considerable improvement. He is more relaxed for one thing. I think being as sick as he was before finally requiring treatment is scary in and of itself. Perhaps that makes people feel worse. Anyway, he arrived bearing fresh bread from Klas, which was very nice and soft, and bananas. I had to laugh because I wasn't sure he would have enough appetite for bread, and while I was briefly out yesterday morning I bought a bunch of bananas also! Nema problema, bananas are good! So we had nettle soup and attacked the beautiful fresh bread. Then we hung out watching stuff on T.V.

I did not know this yesterday, but now I do, today, is the anniversary of the famous 'Bitka na Neretvi'! This is the subject of a film, which will be shown on FTV tonight. Since it is a classic, sometimes it is shown on cable Stateside, and even, rarely, on broadcast channels. It's popped up a time or two even in the Gulag! Along with 'Pretty Village, Pretty Flame' and 'Welcome to Sarajevo'. When they show any of t hese films in the States it is always at some un-Godly hour when even I was too tired to stay up and watch. Anyway since it is a war movie, if the S.O. had come over today, maybe I would not have been able to see it. He does not like war movies. I think we only watched a couple together in the entire time we have known each other, 'Full Metal Jacket' and some really old film with Richard Burton playing a German sent home on leave to his totally wrecked, bombed out home town. I don't know the name of the film, it did not involve a lot of direct violence. It was a very good film though. We both went out into the garden after that film and watched the bees at work.
Anyway, it was good we got to spend some time together, and I have to say, women always feel better if the appetites of their loved ones, whether a man or their children return to normal! Nettle soup has a lot of good things in it and is delicious, we both love the stuff!
I made lots, some is in the freezer now.
Then I walked him to the taxi stand. He still has dizzyness, but he tells me it has improved a bit. In another couple months he will be better than he has been in years God willing!
So no response to my little ad that I put up in the Student center,

I put one for 7 days in Oslobodenje, because at 1KM a day, it seemed pretty reasonable to me. I am going to do a sliding scale deal actually. Some things people might need to learn from me might not be worth the going rate in this town, and some might actually be worth more.

Homework help, or proof-reading an academic paper isn't the same level of service that say, accent correction or starting someone off from the begining is.

I am hoping that by Monday, I will have gotten some response from people who are not turkeys! :)

I am also preparing little ads to go into the Medisinski Fakultet and the Ekonomski Fakultet just to see what happens. Those are the easiest ones for me to get to in the course of my normal routine.
I am also preparing basic lesson plans. I anticipate some people will be in the service industry, sales, taxi drivers, food service. Most internet cafes have at least one employee who can speak some English too. Some of them may want to improve it, although most of the Geek community speak pretty decent English. You sort of pick it up using computers bit by bit.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter