Friday, April 11, 2008

 

So some more rain here...and Police Reform passess...

I woke up with a bit of a cough again. Yesterday the S.O.'s relative did not call me. I was home all day ready to go. In his defense, he has had to host some out of town people and it is to do with work and he warned me that he might not be able to help me go there. The hospital is not all that far away, but it is huge, and the signage leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway the S.O. may be getting out today, and I am not able to see him either way until this cold goes away. If he catches a cold it could be very dangerous for him.

I am of course really pissed off that I have yet another cold.

Still not a damn thing I can do about it. At least if the S.O. is home we will be in phone contact again. That would be nice.

So the big news here was police reform passed yesterday night. Watching the session was painful. It was avoidable but all the other viewing alternatives were worse for some reason yesterday. So I sat and watched a debate I could barely follow at times.

I understand spoken Bosnian, I speak well enough to get by and read it passably, but if people talk fast I am in trouble right away sometimes. This debate got ugly.
Still the bill passed and that is important, even a watered down bill is important because BiH has to have police reform to join the EU.

Past readers know that I am something of a Euroskeptic, but in the case of this part of Europe, the EU is a Good Thing. The countries here ought to have the chance to join.

For one thing getting in and out of Bosnia is hard, especially out, especially if you are Bosnian. Most people here remember when Tito was alive and Yugoslav passport meant you could go almost anyplace, even places Americans can't go, and they miss that freedom of movement. Actually freedom means NOTHING if you can't go anyplace.

As well it is good for young people in particular to travel. I have a friend back in the general area of the Yakima Gulag who was offered a chance to study for a month in France. I told her 'GO FOR IT! DO IT NOW! and gave her all the reasons a person should go on one of these deals, both serious and humorous.

I hope she does it!

If I'd had a similar opportunity at her age, I would have gone, damn the torpedos full speed ahead!

People always think they can do these things later, when they have saved up etc. That isn't so. I can tell you too that it isn't that possible to go some places at all if you are depending on a walker to help you get there!

Do It NOW and have something besides hemorrhoids to bore people with in your old age!


I used to know a guy in San Francisco, a barman named Paddy Nolan. If a customer, a regular walked in looking depressed, he would slam a shot of Irish whiskey down in front of that person and say 'Drink up! You'll be a long time dead!'

He has been dead a long time now. It's fairly close to his death anniversary. We all die sometime, and I think it is a sin not to go out there and experience the world to the best of your ability.

He did what he liked doing, I do what I like doing. It used to be I couldn't, I had Responsibilities, and they were real. I couldn't just go where I felt like going. Now it is different. I don't really have to do anything but pay taxes and die. Actually my tax status is I don't have to pay taxes this year in my home country, here they have some sort of tax you pay every time you buy something or use a service, I pay that. That's kind of it.

I put up some new pictures on my flikr page. You can go there by clicking on the photograph below. Nothing special, just daily life here.

Comments:
Finally the police reform passed, but unfortunately - Serbs still got to keep their police. If we are going to leave in one country, then we should have one multinational police.
 
That part of it is what I meant by watered down! Tihić is un-thrilled and considers the whole bill bad, that maybei it would be better if it had not passed. He maz have a point there. I agree that a SINGLE, PPROFFESSIONAL and RELIABLE police force would be good. This country is smaller than some STATES in the U.S. the economics of having more than one police force can't be good!
But then look how long it took to get one armz!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter