Saturday, April 19, 2008

 

A late start to the day

I woke up at a pretty reasonable time, caught Euronews, and heard about the amazing dump of snow in Galicia, Spain. More of the 'Global Warming My Ass Spring'! Here the weather has been changeable. Yesterday on the way home, there was both sunshine and rain at the same time. Very weird, and the Roma were out selling umbrellas.

The water was fairly deep in places actually, but I was mostly in even places. I have gotten to the point of knowing which pavers are a bit loose and can avoid them better. Given that the weather is too warm for boots, I need to know that, because a loose paver can mess up my ankle and ground me for the rest of the week. So just knowing that is good.

I ate a little something and then thoroughly vaccuummed the house. I have been too wiped out to do it when I came home the last few days, and it really needed to get done. The vacuum is really a nice little lightweight canister, and the place isn't big so it doesn't take all that long.

The fake sheepskin on the couches has worried me, because I sit on it and of course it is then flat. I thought, 'Maybe I should try vacuuming it!' That turned out to be a good idea, it looks like new.

I made sort of a sign-in sheet for the class, with people's phone numbers and where known, their names. In another part of the notebook I noted which students already know some English, and in one case, the student actually spells pretty decently. I am wondering if the thing they want is conversational work and maybe help with accent. I can do that!

Anyway, yesterday I called the S.O. to see how he was doing. He will come over on Monday ako Bog daj, and we can have lunch. He is not going to stay long. I believe either his brother or his nephew will be bringing him. He doesn't even try going places alone yet. He shouldn't just yet, he still is very wobbly. It is sad really because up until fairly recently, he was remarkably strong and lively for a guy his age. Hell I have known 20 year olds that were less enthusiastic about life, and less energetic.

I told him about the English class, and said he was welcome to join in for free. The landlady may well come too. She speaks pretty decent English, with a strong Austrian accent. She sounds like a female Arnold! :).

Anyway it will be nice to earn a little something!
I will start with who I got, and see how it goes. Ako Bog daj, I want to hold classes several times a week, at least 3 days a week.

My first class meeting, I will find out just where each person is in learning English, and do a lesson called 'You know more English than you think you do!'

I plan to find out what each person hopes to accomplish by learning English too. Some may need it for a specific job. To a point I can personalize things if I know that.

The S.O. was really happy about the class. He even had a few helpful suggestions.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter