Sunday, April 20, 2008

 

I need to post a rant.

I probably will feel better after I post this rant. O.K. I had what I considered decent response to my ad for English classes, as in 4 people. Well, not one of them was actually SERIOUS! Not one of them showed. I sent out reminder SMSes, one did say they had meant to call, but had an exam at that time, the other simply never showed after bothering me in the morning with a bunch of personal questions.
Then I waited an hour and that person was a no-show. That is NOT o.k. to do with people. I don't care what country you are in, where you are from, it is rude. R.U.D.E. nekulturno.
O.K. I am going to put my ad in a different publication the next time. Maybe the readership of 'Oglasi' isn't what I want for students.
Next ad is going to say, Serious students only. then the rest of what my old ad said.
The other phone numbers I will keep, and I will tag them as having jerked me around.

O.K. the BETTER part of today! The S.O. did make it over. He has lost 10 kilos, he said he has to be careful of his diet and other stuff for 3 months, but probably will be a lot better after 3 months. We had a pleasant lunch together and watched a music show together. My landlady has been doing a LOT of yard work. This included massive weeding, lawn mowing, and placement of lovely flowers. She has a regular lawnmower. Regular readers of my blog should enjoy the irony! :).

It is lovely out there, Today it is HOT! No rain. In my flat it was kind of cold, I had to put up the heat for my landlady, because her mother was there, and some other older relatives who don't like to be cold. My heat affects the downstairs. THAT is another case of Bad Design! :)

Anyway, the longer days meant I could come down here, check my e-mail and post a blog. I am not doing anything else. I don't want to be out TOO long. I will have to go home to cool off!

Last night, I watched 'Pecat' which keeps getting more strange, and interesting, and then 'Sleeper Cell' which got more unlikely as it went along, but it still was good.
10th Episode reached the kind of crescendo that should go with the end of a series. I don't know what they can do to top it. Maybe water-boarding all the guys?
Anyway, it was pretty good. I did learn a few useful phrases. I also know some phrases were not translated literally, mostly mean things said between a couple of the bad guys.

I was really glad to see the S.O. it has been a bit over a month. He actually seemed in halfway decent shape. He ate some of the Irish Nettle Soup, and seemed to like it, and had a little of the salmon. He wasn't able to eat much. He kept saying how sorry he was that he could not eat more of the salmon. What he could eat came to like a tablespoon! Still he did seem to like it. He ate all his Irish Nettle Soup and told me there was a similar recipe extent in BiH.
This is true, I went out and got a card for him so I could top up his credit on his cell phone for him, and showed him again how to do it, then cleared his messages for him, showed him my old messages, and again how to retrieve them. That may take some time. I walked him to the cab stand, because he did not feel up for my English class. He said he might want to do it some other time, when he feels better. He used to speak a little English, and he still can read a little. I gave him something to read out loud in English once shortly after I got here, and he read it surprisingly well! Bosnian is orthographic, and English has this crazy spelling that even drives native speakers nuts! He managed though, and I feel I can take a little credit, I did help him with it, but Teacher Mary, at Y.V.C.C. deserves most of the credit!
Anyway, it is so lovely not to have rain!


Comments:
How about putting a card up on a further education college notice board or on a University faculty student noticeboard? Try a "serious subject" faculty. Don't worry too much about the time-wasters you may get to start with, you need to be persistent and once you get a couple or so regulars then hopefully you'll get some word of mouth follow-up amongst their fellow-students.
 
I did put up one notice at the Studenski Dom Bjelava, no results yet, but it only went up yesterday. I think that is a good idea, and has the advantage of being FREE! :) A friend here suggested the Studensky Dom.
What was shocking about the time wasters is that most people here really are decent. I just had to get the five jerks running around loose!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter