Sunday, April 06, 2008

 

Dan Oslobodenje Sarajeva

This day marks when the NAZI occupiers left Sarajevo. The usual official persons will place flowers at the Eternal Flame. I was kind of surprised to find places open at all. It is fairly early here as I post this, 9:19 AM to be exact. I got here roughly 8:30 AM. It may have been a mistake to leave the house at all, my ankle acted up on the way down. It is nice enough out that I did not want to wear boots. I get tired of the weight of them sometimes. I wore my crummy little no-tie sneakers. The only thing uglier is 'Crocs' I actually saw a woman wearing a horrible pair of 'Crocs' at the news stand on my street a couple days ago. People here generally wear nice shoes. It is a point of pride actually. Bosnia had a pretty decent shoe industry before the war. My boots are of local manufacture actually and very good, the best pair I ever had. But if it is relatively warm out, my feet sweat in them and I hate to sweat. Especially I hate for my feet to sweat.

Last night I watched 'Pecat', forgive the lack of diacritical marks I am down at BIT and the keyboards here are American and I am too lazy and tired to get out my deal that has those marks, or to mess with hot-keys. 'Pecat' is sort of a mini series set here in Sarajevo. Part of the fun is seeing places I have been, the other part of the fun is how damned CREEPY this show is! For one thing it is a lot more plausible than 'Twin Peaks'! They have a terrorist cell, and the terrorists are creepy, at times funny and at times scary. There is one terrorist who is married to a very hot looking blonde. She is a niqabi so you don't find out she is a hot looking blonde until she gets home. She is in this black stuff until she gets home with this little kids bike. She gets in the house and starts taking the outer stuff off. This is done in a totally matter of fact way, but somehow it is provocative. Then you see her husband! He has almost a village idiot leer, and bad teeth, and a beard almost as big as he is!
Together they seem totally a mis-match! I mean she is beautiful!
Then there is the terrorist caught at the airport. He didn't start off as even being Muslim! He has this robot like voice too. He is played by a fairly good looking actor. The woman at the airport who is questioning him is sure he is Up To No Good, but there is no reason to hold him. So he is let go.
There is a Croat family who are at a christening and there is a young man being told the truth as to who his father is.
The series is very tightly written and would be a success internationally I believe.
I wanted to stay up for 'Sleeper Cell' To FTV's credit it was only delayed by the big boxing match, not pre-empted. I could not stay up that late t hough. I have been recovering from the flu. I set an alarm and it woke me, but my bed was just the right temperature and I decided to not get up and go to the cold living room.
Other T.V. stuff, there was an article about another escaped zek! A famous escapee! Kyle McLaughlin! He was a star in 'Twin Peaks' and has a real fan base here in BiH! They did not mention that he was born and raised in our Gulag! SRAMOTA! Kyle je nas!
Kyle was a graduate of A.C. Davis High School and my son had one of his former teachers. In fact this former drama teacher told my son he should go into acting. My son was rather dubious about the whole idea. I tried to encourage it actually. He said 'If anyone in this family ought to act, it ought to be my sister!'
Actually either one of them would have done well if they had taken that path!
On to more filmness since it seems to be that kind of day.
Yesterday in 'Oslobodenje' there was front page news that Danis Tanovic who won the Best Foreign Film Oscar for 'No Man's Land' is in town and he brough Colin Farrell, a famous Irish actor here to do a film called 'Triage'. It is about the war of course, and a reporter.Filming is to take place in Spain, Ireland and BiH.
The news was an exclusive for 'Oslobodenje'.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter