Saturday, April 05, 2008

 

Again rain

Woke up again fairly late. I checked my various e-mails. No word on the S.O.'s condition today, but it is early. I still don't dare go see him, again I woke up congested. I am not badly congested, but I ran a temperature last night for a bit. I made an early night of it, forgoing a couple nice films and instead read from a book by Aleksandr Hemon.
I love Aleksandr Hemon, he wrote at least a couple of really good stories for the 'New Yorker' in English. He is from Sarajevo, and I read his stuff in Bosnian for 'Dani' regularly. This is 'Man without a past' and it is pretty funny in places.
It is in Bosnian. I am slogging through. I took some pictures of the daffodil, and the quince tree, now in magnificent bloom.
As well I joined the 'Democrats Abroad' website.
I was informed by my landlord's brother that the Republicans actually have an OFFICE here in Sarajevo!
Meanwhile my search for other Democrats in Sarajevo has been frustrating! I know there are some. There have to be!
Anyway, at least I was able to locate the website, it took several searches to do it.
Amazing how much work the Internet can be sometimes!
I am nervous about the S.O. His relative says he is improving steadily, but given that I can't go see him until I am not sniffing, coughing, waking up congested or otherwise out of order, I don't know for myself how he is doing.
The S.O. has always caught cold easily. I haven't, but they say it takes awhile, up to 2 years for your immune system to adapt to new germs. There are plenty of new germs here! :)
At least there is someone willing to give me updates, and greet the S.O. from me.
I worked a little on the new novel and had a coffee here. It is nice here. I hear some voices that almost sound American in here.
Well time to pay up and then I may go out and have soup, there is a place for it nearby. Bosnia is sort of famous for soup, even the packaged soups are better here than most other places. I should suggest to someone that Bosnian packaged soups be exported to the U.S. because they would be a nice change from Ramen noodles. Unfortuantely the single serving concept hasn't arrived here. Most make four bowls of soup. To an American it would be two bowls, but that might be too much in some circumstances.
Microwavable isn't in the vocabulary here. Microwaves are getting more common. I could have had one, but I don't do microwave foods that much. A microwave is one more thing to clean too.
My usual quick meal is either suho meso, or tinned fish, and some hashbrowns. I find the local potatoes make WONDERFUL hashbrowns, and one potato is usually enough for me.
That or I go out and have cevapi. Up here it isn't expensive to do that.
I forgot the cable so I can't put my pictures on Flikr. *slaps forehead* Next time ako Bog daj!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter