Sunday, March 30, 2008

 

Sunny again!

The sun is out, the informal gathering of citizens were out collecting petitions today, but it wasn't a mass demonstration like most Saturdays, today being Sunday and for the Katedrale, a 'working day' I was relieved to see that it was no more than a lit table would have been back in Berkley.

I have not heard from the S.O.s relatives as to how he is. The last I heard he was recovering well. I don't want to be a pest, so I am waiting to contact them until Monday. He is probably at his sisters if he isn't in the hospital. Knowing him, he is being a pill! I have looked after him when he was sick before, and I don't envy them!

Getting my classes started has involved ads in two of the most read local papers and a short ad is going in 'Oglasnik' the advertising paper. I should hear from people starting next week. Two people probably will join my classes right away! D. and B. because running a shop in Baščaršija they could use a few handy phrases in English! Anyway now to sit back and wait for calls! That should happen over the next week with any luck. There are others doing the same thing, but usually people like if they can stay in the neighborhood, and I am where there are a lot of college students who could use help. So something ought to happen.
Three different times I have been there and done some informal interpreting. It is good practice for me, and helpful to them, it sort of pays them back for all the times they have given me coffee!
The classes will just be in my living room, there is enough room to make it work!
Work on the other novel is slow but steady. I probably will have to break off for editing on the other sometime soon with any luck.
Another hightlight of the week was I found a place with a few books in English. While I read Bosnian fine, in fact am almost done with Balkan Bluz and have started a book by Alexander Hemon, about his time in Chicago, I need some other readage!
Magazines in English can be fantastically expensive here! So can newspapers! Books actually are good value for money and still have a little resale value. I got a purple vest with pockets too. It exactly matches my purple skirt. I paid 5KM for it.
Then came down here, hung with my friends a bit. I will go home soon though, because I have a little house work to do. The thought of going for some guacamole is tempting right now. I haven't done that in ages! The sidewalk near Hacienda looks better at this point too.
It really is nice out today, so I am glad I did not need to wear my heavy sweater or boots. I was getting tired of slogging along in the boots, even though they are really nice when there is snow and ice out. Thank God there isn't snow and ice right now.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter