Monday, March 03, 2008

 

So what do Bosnians do for Independance Day?

In the Federation part of Bosnia, people observed Bosnian Independance Day by displaying the flag, wearing clothes that were blue and yellow, and Komšić and Silajdžić put flowers at the Eternal Flame and at a memorial in one of the local cemetaries that has a lot who died fighting for Bosnia. I personally stayed home. I have a mild cold, but it has come with very high temperatures. I had an earache, but I knocked that out with my home-made Drambuie. Both ears are fine now. If it were the flu this would not have worked. Everyone has colds it seems.

I stayed home and watched a lot of T.V. TVSA had a few really interesting documentaries, they had one about stecci, 'Stecci Poslijedna Bosanska Tajna' which was excellent. They showed the bones of the last king of Bosnia, and also they showed the bones of King Tvrtko II and his wife. So there I was face to face with what is left of three of my dead ancestors.

Stecci are to be found all over the region, they showed a good numbser of th em from all over Bosnia-Hercegovina. Fascinating and the film has good music.

There was a painter on who paints pictures with stecci or based on the motifs found on stecci and she looks a lot like my late mother looked as a younger woman.

They showed on FTV a documentary about the Tunnel, and this is an interesting sidelight. My first day back, I did cheesy tourist stuff. I went and bought like five of those pens made from shell caseings. It turns out the very man that made them was interviewed for the documentary, he helped dig the tunnel!

Talk about your weird synchronicities!

Another film shown both on the first and rerun yesterday was 'Remake' That film is AMAZING! If you haven't seen it rent it or something, it is worth seeing.

Speaking of films, the lady down by the Gradska Tržnista I used to buy papers from and th e occasional film isn't there anymore. The last few times into town I have not seen her. I feel sort of worried, because she is a very cheerful person. She even saved one film specially for me, because she thought I might like it! She also helped me find a taxi stand a day when I was new here and needed one. So if I am in town, I buy my papers from her.

There has been an effort to curb the casual trading on Ferhadia, and that is understandable on the part of the city, but the downside is that this was one way people could make a living that was sort of legit, and not begging. Anything that hurts that is a bad thing. There needs to be some sort of compromise on the issue.

Anyway I hope she is o.k. whereever she is.

The last demonstration on the juvenile delinquency issue took place on March 1st and came off peacefully. I was in town yesterday but the internet cafe was full. I did not feel like going elsewhere, so that was that, I went home.

Obama has finally made some sort of statement as to where he stands on Balkans matters. He has stated he will support the Dayton Accord!
So if it comes to him winning the other primaries and being my party's candidate, I can rest easy, he GETS it about this area of the world.

That has concerned me a good bit. I know where Hillary is at, her record on the region is good, and people here like her, and respect her for having come here when it wasn't safe.

Another campaign related remark, there was some sort of flap about the fact Obama visited Sudan or Somalia, I forget which, and he was helped into the local traditional attire, which happens to include a turban. Some people have been making a HUGE fat deal out of it.
1. Obama is not Muslim 2. He does not support terrorism. 3. those people can STFU right now. Those are not valid issues to knock him over.



Comments:
Obama seems to have been visiting his family in Northern Kenya, presumably close to the Somali border and seems to have been kitted out in local ceremonial dress which included a white turban. From what was reported here it seems as if one of Hilary's supporters thought releasing the picture would damage Obama. Strangely for someone as experienced as H. Clinton her campaign seems to have been firing a steady stream of bullets into its foot.
 
I livein yakima , washington and I was googling the name.

I am curious how did you choose Yakima as your name if you live(I think?) in the old yugoslavia?

howard
 
Why do you think yakima is a gulag?

Is is not cultural and progressive enough?

I live there and I actually like the agricultural stuff...the apples/ wine, etc.

howard
tieton wa
 
Hope you're not down with anything nasty.
 
I really have to wonder about some of Hillary's campaign folks, I would have either left that picture STRICTLY alone or approached a different way altogether. Obama has a constitutional right to be any religion he wants to be and to dress any damn way he pleases! I thought he looked rather dashing in it personally.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
@howard, I have nothing against the agricultural stuff and the wine and apples, that's all good stuff, there is however the matter of the gangs and damn few safe places to go out, and the general difficulty making a living and getting around due to lack of enough public transit. What they have in Yakima as far as it goes is good, and improved a lot in the last five years, but it was a hardship posting for me.
The other part of why my blog got named that came from a long running joke between myself and some AOL friends long long ago.
As for where I live, I lived in Yakima for something like 18 years, and I now live in Sarajevo, BiH.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter