Monday, March 31, 2008

 

O.K. getting in touch can be very hard to do sometimes...

It is beautiful out today, I left early as a friend who lives in the Yakima Gulag wanted to chat online, and that means going to an internet club. I didn't feel wonderful last night.
There is a new store on one of the streets leading up the hill. I took a different bus than usual, and a man who was seriously drunk got on. He had the 1000 yard stare, so I knew he had had a worse than usual time in the war, he was young and thin, and blotchy and dressed in clothes appropriate to manual labor. In a drunken voice he loudly proclaimed that this morning he had been in Mostar, and there had lost his job, at least that was what I gathered from his slurred speech. An older man who must have been an acquaintance came on. 'Hello neighbor!' he said to the older man.
'I fought on Igman and look what happened to me! I lost my job! I am going to starve!'
A smell of bad rakija went across the width of the bus. The bus got to accross from the first entrances of the hospital area, and that isn't so far a walk for me, it was nice out, and while I felt sorry for the guy's trouble, I could sense that his trouble was fast becoming everyone else's trouble and it would be bright to leave.
So I bailed and walked up. The old Mercur isn't there anymore, a DP went in, so I decided to check it out and see what they had in there. Well it looks decently stocked, I checked the frozen foods and found frozen SALMON, at 4KM it was about what I would h ave paid in the Gulag, and from a good company, Ledo, so I grabbed it. Made salmon for dinner and felt very good. This morning that was not the case. I think I ate too much of it.
I will eat less next time.
It is a glorious day out, I got some writing done, have a couple errends and I am going to see my friends at the dress shop.
No news as to how the S.O. is right now. I am assuming that he is at his sisters. If so they have their hands full and I don't want to bug them.
People are starting to like Obama here. Hillary made a key strategic error with Bosnians by overplaying the dangers of going to Tuzla with Chelsea. It was safer to go there than a few other places in the region. While people here ARE grateful for the help of the United States of America and generally like Americans, exaggeration isn't forgiven lightly by people who really DID go through some Hell.
The quality of a campaign can be very telling as to what sort of administration you will get. Hillary is making mistakes she ought not to be making.
Obama deserves a chance, and I think he will do a good job. I have reached out to the campaign and hope to hear back if there are some Obama supporters in my near vicinity.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter