Wednesday, February 13, 2008

 

More on the Big Demonstration...

I am so damn glad I gave that gathering a wide berth. There were a few arrests. Mostly some rough young people showed up and used the occasion to throw stuff at City Hall. A LOT of stuff, stones, empty bottles, both plastic and glass...The police tried to say the demonstration was illegal, I would not know, I don't know the local laws on that question. I think the organizers intended a peaceful demonstration. Dosta and GROZD are mostly people who have good intentions. They are both organizations who would like to see some much needed reforms here.

They showed various people who are officials at the Cantonal level and one of them, the premier was simply livid. He was speaking so fast I only understood every other word. I won't venture to translate it all.

Anyway, I sat down this morning to watch the news, first Euronews because it is in English, and therefore helpful, and then local news on BHT1 because it is followed by a soap I love, I don't know it's name in Spanish, but I call it the Spanish Civil War Soap Opera. My late mother was obsessed with the Spanish Civil War, and she would have loved it. It is also Spanish I understand. There is one soap from Argentina which sometimes totally is impossible for me to understand, due to the accents and the slang being too different.

Stuff on Euronews included the information that Congress and the Senate have voted to outlaw waterboarding. About damn time. It gives Americans a very bad name to be doing such things.

Anyway the T.V. went off, the fridge stopped doing it's imitation of mating frogs, and the boiler stopped huffing. So I decided to go entertain myself someplace other than home. The S.O. doesn't feel great today either. I called him and told him he was off the hook for today due to the power failure. I don't feel like going out there that much. I didn't really even feel like leaving the flat. I only left because probably the power will be off all day. Haven't checked the paper yet, and I really can't do much there, eat, that means opening and closeing the fridge, not good. I think the stove requires electricity to light, even though it's a gas stove, so cooking or a cup of coffee is out. Clean, pretty much limited to sweeping, wash clothes, not all that much is acutally dirty. No point. So I am going to eat out, and have coffee out and indulge my internet addiction.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter