Wednesday, February 27, 2008

 

Migraine

Normally feeling this bad, I would just take a Codafon, and go back to sleep, the most I would do would be to have coffee, and some small thing or other to eat. But I had to go pay the bills which mysteriously arrived downstairs.
My landlady never did call, and I realized it might be best if I went down and just asked for my bills. That turned out to be the best thing.
I expressed my sympathy to her on the loss of her father, and said that I felt bad for both her and her brother that he isn't with us anymore. She was I could tell devastated, but I could see also has a very healthy take on death. She also informed me that tragedy had visited my English neighbors upstairs. We haven't gotten to know each other, but I learned from my landlady that their little one year old baby died the day before her father died. I was very sad to hear this. I remember Christmas morning being awakened by the little children upstairs rushing to open their presents. It was a happy noise. I feel so bad for them. It is one thing when someone has lived to a good age, done a lot of what they wanted to do in their life, that is sad, but it is not devastating like the loss of a child.
She gave me the bills so I could go and pay them, and a small very good vacuum cleaner, that she bought specifically for me. I did not know if the vacuum cleaner in the corner of the bedroom was any good or not, and did not dare find out the hard way. So this little vacuum came very welcome. I thanked her for it, and took it upstairs.
Previously I was sweeping. Thank God Bosnians don't go in for wall-to-wall carpeting! I would have a REAL problem by now if they did go in for that stupidity here! So at least things weren't REALLY bad, but vacuuming the place made a difference! I got the worst of it last night, and will finish it whenever I get over this migraine.
I took the bills to the big postoffice, and paid them there. For some reason I get lost going to the little neighborhood post office, but the big one on Obala Kulin Ban is hard to miss! :). I think it is actually very sensible that you can take any bills to the post office and pay them there. It is one thing I wish they would do Stateside. That and have suho meso available in every store. I have lost weight without feeling at all hungry. Anyone who knows me well knows that I used to get these absolute feeding frenzies at times, especially if I was recovering from a migraine. Now however, I don't get feeding frenzies where everything in sight gets eatten. I have for the first time in my LIFE control of my appetite. This is a very great blessing. So this time I will see if that is so after a migraine.
The weather is steadily improving, it is a beautiful day out, and windy so the air is very clear.
There are more tourists in town. There was a huge bus loading up some in the area near the National Theatre.
So far no reaction in Sarajevo itself to the Kosovo business. People in Sarajevo are sensibly more concerned with what is the business of Bosnia-Hercegovina, not what is the business of other countries.
I am going to have a look at the rest of my e-mail. Editing work on the NaNo novel is about complete, and I need to get it so it is all set for me to put numbers on every page, then I will print out, printing seems to cost about the same everyplace. My S.O. called yesterday, he is still experiencing vertigo, but felt better enough to cook for himself, which is good, he thinks he will be alright tomorrow. So I should get some lunch things. I got some cardamon seeds at Badem. I don't know the Bosnian word for them, but I alway keep in a pocket a little thing with the usual mix Indian people use for bad breath. It includes cardamon seeds. I took one out and showed it to the girl, and thank God they have them. So now if I want masala chai I can make some, they go in Indian sweets too. I want to do a nice Indian dinner one night. Like Lister in 'Red Dwarf' I never underestimate the healing properties of a curry and a lager!
Last night Dubioza Kolektiv were on Retrovisor. I love those guys! It was crazy. The guys all had bright orange jumpsuits, which are similar to what prisoners in the U.S. wear, and the girl had this long shirt and some pants. They did all sorts of stuff, some in English. They were excellent. They did some stuff that was rap, and some stuff that sounded like a combination of reggae and Balkans type music. I really enjoyed them. Then I did something terribly American and watched the Oscars. Never used to watch them at home! Quite enjoyed some of the music and the film clips from 'There Will Be Blood' looked good. I actually would like to see the Kazakh entry 'Mongol' it looked very good. In fact I think this might have been an above average year for films.
There was one song from 'Enchanted' where the dancing was so Bollywood, the music wasn't but the dancing was.
People are sitting at sidewalk cafes again, it is the warmest February in 120 years.


Comments:
Sympathy for the migraine. Of course here it's becoming less possible to pay bills (eg TV licence) in the post office and they're closing more and more of them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter