Sunday, February 03, 2008

 

Bits of rain today...

So originally I was planning to run into town, but given that fewer busses run on weekends, and I am not feeling wonderful, slightly headachy, and I ate the last of the kiseli kupis last night, boiled twice, throw out the first water, and then boil it again. Probably takes out all the nutritional value, but I was trying to see if there were circumstances in which I could actually eat this stuff. The answer is NO ABSOLUTAMENTE NO WAY Jose! Nema sansa! This delayed my departure from home considerably this morning, that I'd eaten that.
I've already told the S.O. that this stuff is delicious, but I can't eat it. If I'm ever invited someplace I'm just going to say, 'It looks delicious, it smells nice, but sorry I am allergic to it. My doctor said I should not have it.'
That's what I do if offered anything that I can't do. If I just don't like it, I take a very small portion, VERY small, and say 'Thank you.'
So since I got a slightly late start, I decided not to leave the neighborhood.
Hello Kitty is warped, but sort of cute. My son's girlfriend is a huge fan. They dub it into Bosnian and translate any titles, not with subtitles, they just take the font, do a whole new frame for the title, and put it into Bosnian. This is actually kind of good for me, it helps me with learning the language.
It's cute in that scary Japanese way.
I wanted to say something about cartoons in general, and kids shows. It's the voices. I realize that sometimes a funny voice is great fun, especially for the grown-ups actually doing the voices, I recognize the skill involved, but here is my problem with it.
It ALL GETS TOO FRANTIC sometimes. The voices are sort of like an excited child's voice, and usually over exactly nothing. After a lot of nothing, the children watching are going to tune it out and wait for something Really Interesting, and I think this is one of the ways television contributes to a short attention span in children. What is worse, children learn to speak not just from their parents, older children and the rest of the village, they also learn from television, and they start sounding like one of the characters on 'The Muppet Show' or something like that, and it drives me Bat Shit Crazy!
Personally I did not permit my children to speak that way. They heard the magical words 'You aren't getting what you want until you talk to me in a regular voice.'
So they early learned that if they asked for a cookie in one of those damned muppet voices 'no cookies for you dear!' and a regular voice might get them a couple more.
Earlier today, I watched a bit of 'Lord Fauntleroy' very weird experience. I kind of liked what I saw of it, but the picture was fuzzy and I did have other things to do. Despite having satellite, the picture sometimes is deplorable. I don't want to mess with the T.V. and risk making matters worse. The last time I messed around with settings on a more modern T.V. was at my daughters and I messed things up big time. It took my son-in-law about 3 hours to fix things to where they were and another hour to make the improvements I was trying for. So never again! :)

So no news yet about the Serbian elections except that they are happening. They made Euronews, and the Balkans area seldom does. As well protests here in BiH about the deportation of guys like Abu Hamza have been big news. Sorry, it's part of the Dayton Accords, it has to be done. Besides some of those guys genuinely are terrorists.
Basically though, if there never had been a September 11th attack, they might have been left alone, so long as they didn't bother anyone. As things stand though, too bad, they really all need to go someplace else. Lord knows the region has enough that can upset the apple cart without them!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter