Wednesday, February 06, 2008

 

Anniversasaries to note

The fourth of February was the anniversary of the Sarajevo Winter Olympics, they had film of it on all channels. I watched them on T.V. back when I lived in San Francisco. They showed film of the city of Sarajevo as it looked then and I felt very drawn to the place at the time. Of course it was not a trip I could make at that time. The rest of my life did not permit such things then.

The other anniversary was yesterday. This was the anniversary of the Markale massacre. I remember seeing that on the news, and being simply horrified at the sheer brutality of the attack. These were innocent people who just needed to buy food for their families, or make a living selling food to people. Capitalism in action even under terrible circumstances.

I shop regularly at the Markale, it is where to go to get suho meso, and a few other things not as easily obtainable in the neighborhood. The people who do business there, the vendors help each other out, if someone needs change, he or she can get it from a neighboring vendor. In general everyone is both friendly, and cheerful. Crossing the street to get to the Pijaca, which is the open air market there is a huge Sarajevo rose in the crosswalk, and others along the street. This is where people met their deaths. I did not realize there was a Sarajevo rose in the crosswalk the first few times I went to shop there. A good rain cleaned the dirt off it, and it is huge. Anyway yesterday out of respect, the Markale was closed, and there was a ceremony to lay wreathes there. Komšić and Slijadžić both were there. Hundreds of people showed up. The Markale and the Pijaca are and always were important to the functioning of this city. Anyone who is here any lenth of time shops there at least sometimes.

Today it is nice out, people are enjoying to nice weather by going out and about. I have only two chapters left to edit. I am going to stay here and Just Do It! :)

Comments:
Not sure if the comment went through, some sort of hiccough. I asked if you could take a picture of Markale as it is now and post it?
 
There must have been, because I didn't get the request earlier.
Then again I have been so tired the last couple days, I could even be at fault.
I will when I get the chance.
 
Thanks
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter