Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

Sunny Today

Yesterday there was a bit of snow that did not stick, so I didn't go anyplace. I stayed home and made my first sarama od kisela kupis. Then I called the S.O. to tell him there was sarama if he wanted to come over. He couldn't, it turns out he had more medical stuff. Basically, he went in for one problem and they found others. He is used to going to the doctor a lot more than I have been, what with the free or nearly free health care available here for citizens. The medical care here is decent too. So I am surprised they did not catch a few of the other things. Anyway, it's been annoying for him. He doesn't hate going to the doctor as much as most men I know, but he doesn't like going either, not when there's various test involved.

The sarama turned out not too bad. I was shown how to make it by one of the S.O.'s neighbors years ago. Of course there is a massive shortage of kisela kupis in the Yakima Gulag. You need to know how to make your own, or to know somebody. No such thing as buying it in a store. Anyway, it turned out not too bad. I put the amount of water it said on the package of short-grain rice, and with the browned ground meat, that was too much water, so next time I will add like half a cup less water, and probably more salt and pepper wouldn't hurt.

Not bad all things considered.

The last few days they have been running a program on Sevdalinke, which gives the history of this form of music. It's on FTV and they had various singers who are not around anymore. Sad too, most of them were very good. They had film of various places before the war, and even from long ago, very long ago, so that was interesting.

Last night from the same guys that had the documentary about shepherdesses, there was one about a guy that returned to his small village from America. There was a white wolf that was killed. He was a man who likes wolves too, so he felt it was a shame to kill it, but when wolves come in and start eating your sheep, well, then you have to do something. The radio station where he lives is called 'Radio Vuk' and uses wolf howls as part of their call signal.

I am roughly halfway through the revision process on the NaNo novel. This is sometimes slow going, because of the whole 'Open Office' doesn't transfer well to 'Word' thing. That whole problem was the bane of my days at the Yakima Gulag Institute of Higher Re:Education. Supposedly, according to Ivan the Terrible, Minister of Technology, they should work together just fine. Yeah, whatever! *large armed securithugs from Ministry of Technology arrive at door brandishing black A.K.47s * .....

At least my head doesn't hurt anymore. It did a bit yesterday, and I had the post-migraine munchies. That is another thing I don't like, you start eating everything in sight....never a good thing when you are trying to not get fat...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter