Tuesday, January 29, 2008

 

So you are walking home one day minding your own business...and you see them taking some war criminals to jail

Yesterday after being here at B.I.T. awhile, I turned for home, the idea was to go to the little store the other way from my place which has corn chips, and see if one of the stray avacados rounded up on the Pijaca was good. (B.T.W. it felt soft enough but was hard as a brick inside and part had gone bad before ripening. I hate long necked avacados for that reason, they do that a lot.)
Anyway, I turned up the hill and was halfway to my street when I noticed two police cars right in a row, just plain black and whites. That is not usual here, you see like one at a time, they spread out usually. This was followed by a white marked police vehicle with a light bar and somehting like six VW vans dark blue, insignia in gold, very classy looking actually, and then I think a couple more marked and one un- marked but light barred S.U.V.

You guys are going to laugh but seriously, the first thought in my head was, 'I wonder if they got like a major war crimes guy or something?' and I continued on with my search for corn chips. I got home in time for the announcement of new stories and heard there had been some sort of important arrest, but it went by pretty fast. I mean I understand the language o.k. at this point, but not if spoken very rapidly, and I was kind of busy in the kitchen putting my few purchases away and making some coffee. It's been cold out, I needed it.

So later the S.O. calls and I asked him if he'd heard anything and told him what I'd seen. No he hadn't, he figured it might have had to do with Gasi's gang. There have been after all a few other arrests there as that nasty little gang has been broken up.

So later on I listened to the news, and heard they'd taken in three war crimes guys, and the guys concerned had been involved with one of the camps. They'd been busted in Vlasnica. So later the S.O. calls, and said he couldn't come visit today, which I already knew, he'd already told me but he'd forgotten that. So I told him what I'd heard on the news. He hadn't yet heard anything, he's a news junkie too, so that was a little surprising.

I'm pretty much recovered from the bad time with kisela kupis. The next time I eat that stuff it's going to be cooked to death. Most of the time I don't like cooked vegetables that well. I do better with raw. Kisela kupis however has been through a process that makes it into a Weapon of Mass Destruction!

Comments:
I think the reference to the three criminals connected with Vlasenica may have been a report of the conviction of Nikolic and co. at The Hague for crimes against humanity at Susica camp (can't pin down a News reference). So the ones you saw may have been Gasi gang.
 
Forget that last post. There's nothing about Nikolic appealing previous sentence or anything else Susica related. Which is odd because I could have sworn there was something on the radio about Susica today or last night which I didn't hear properly because I was paying attention to something else.
 
Got myself muddled as usual. Have now pinned them - they were three of Nikolic's henchmen at Susica.

"THREE SERBIAN WAR CRIMINALS DETAINED IN BOSNIA

SARAJEVO, Bosnia (January 29,2008) – The Bosnian State Investigation and Protection Agency (SIPA) detained yesterday in the eastern Bosnian town of Vlasenica three Serbian war criminals who committed war crimes against Bosnian civilians during the 1992-1995 Serbian aggression against Bosnia.

The Bosnian State Prosecutor's Office identified the suspects as Veljko Basic, 82, Predrag Bastah, 55, and Goran Viskovic, 54. They were wanted for war crimes committed against Bosnian civilians in the eastern Bosnian town of Vlasenica.

They are suspected of detaining Bosnian civilians in Vlasenica and its wider area, and taking them into the town's Susica detention facility, run by Basic.

More than 800 Bosnian civilians were murdered by the genocidal Serbian aggressor in the Susica prison in Vlasenica during the 1992-1995 Serbian aggression against Bosnia."

http://bosnianews.blogspot.com/2008/01/three-serbian-war-criminals-detained-in.html
 
{@owen, no it was NOT the Gaši gang. This was one Hell of a cop parade, and no new arrests have been announced about Gaši or his friends.
This was a group of three others newly arrested, but also to do with Vlasnica and also to do with Sušica.
 
Looks as if maybe they've put the final piece in the jigsaw on a case concerning Susica and were doing a round-up in various places. It's good to see the efforts of the BiH war crimes prosecutors to end impunity.
 
I am glad too, it is better if justice proceeds through the courts, and people on all sides who committed war crimes face the music. That is more likely to lead to stability than allowing anyone who committed war crimes to remain at liberty. Anyway, it looks like the police here are a bit more efficient than in past years, and that is good.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter