Sunday, January 13, 2008

 

Sarajevo Saturday Night Live

Mostar Sevdah Reunion far from breaking up, have sort of reorganized, and were on Folk Show last night. They sound a hair jazzier than before, I am not a fan of cool jazz, but it was still good to see them and hear them. There was also a folk group from Kraljeva Sutjeska, they sang, and were really of interest to see.
There were some similarities to the Bulgarian Women's Choir, they did that little high pitched yip at the end of verses. Most of them had the hand tatoos, REALLY had them, this was not ink or henna. People in that area dressed traditionally well into my lifetime. What these ladies wore was normal everyday attire up until as late as the 1970s to judge by male attire worn in the streets in another film I saw, a documentary on Jajce.

So anyway I liked that, and also 'Sto je muskarać bez brkove?' Some of that film was very funny. Also watched 'Jesen stiže dunjo moja' That show earlier had jack-o-lanterns used in some kind of village celebration. I tried to get the S.O. to explain abut it, and basically, despite my lovely little color sketches, he failed to enlighten me. I have no idea what I was seeing, but it seemed to be in a different context from the Celtic use of jack-o-lanterns. Any enlightenment on this subject by my select, discerning, international readership would be deeply appreciated, because no one else could tell me what that was all about. To the best of my understanding the village young men dressed as devils and one dressed like Jesus, and they made the rounds of houses asking for various food items, slanina, brašno, itd, and then there were the village girls dressed in white, with some sort of nice wreaths on their heads, I have no idea what they were about, I am assuming it was autumn, because that is when pumpkins are ripe. There was no snow. So anyway someone please let me know. I know that Halloween is most definately NOT a Slav do, so what was it?

They have started showing 'Monk' That show is really funny, and sometimes I get to see some neighborhoods familiar from years back as it is set in San Francisco. His continual requests for 'wipes' are funny, and I loved when he was like all 'eeeew jail goo!' My sister turned me on to the series, and it is a good series. I watch stuff for the subtitles, and this one has had useful subtitles, VERY useful subtitles! It really is a funny show too, the poor Mr. Monk's phobias are endlessly entertaining.

On a more serious note, a decision on Kosovo independence seems likely to occur soon, what with Merkel and Bush on the same page.
I see by the papers that John Kerry endorsed Senator Barak Obama. Again, whoever the Democrats run is going to get my vote. The other side are in bed with the people who have so busily been ruining my life.

Comments:
I also really enjoy "Monk"-glad to see you're enjoying it from Sarajevo.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter