Thursday, January 31, 2008

 

Lotta cloud cover today...

So yesterday while I was out, I could not come to my favorite internet club in Bašćaršija due to street repairs. It is cloudy today and I had to come back because a couple skirts I purchased at my favorite shop turned out once I got them home to be th e wrong sizes. One is a hair too short, as in it looks long enough if you stand up right, but goes all the way up to my knees in back if I bend, that is too short! The other is a real freak of nature, it was wide enough, but too long, and due to the style, the solution is not to hem it. It has insets and stuff that hemming would ruin. So I am going to exchange them. Yeah, mind numbing trivia, sorry. Shopping here can be a chaotic experience, even in the Best Places. My favorite place to shop has no real dressing room, and it is a good idea to try things on. Back Stateside, I bought blouses and made skirts because it was almost impossible to find skirts that fit me right, and not too hard to find decent cloth at reasonable prices. Here, it can be a challenge, but skirts that fit right can be had not too expensively, but blouses to match can be a problem. So the shop I go to has been pretty good most of the time, the lady there understands what I like and don't like. She is very helpful and not outlandishly pushy. All things I like. Plus she stocks nice things that I enjoy wearing which are also suitable for office wear if it comes to that. That can be hard to arrange!

Thanks to A.R. for language help. I make mistakes still. Sometimes what I hear is not what was said. It has made me have to be very careful how I write names down. That is why I did not have the names of the war criminals, I had to buy an actual news paper to confirm things. I am slowly picking up ćirilici but because I did not grow up with them, it goes slowly. On BHT1 sometimes captions are in the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet, they pull those captions too fast for a non-native reader, so I will have half of a word read, like someone's name, a place name, whatever and then *zap!* it's gone. They pull the latinici captions just as fast, but I have been reading the Latin alphabet since age four, in two languages, (English and Spanish) So it is not the same problem for me.
What I really love is how they will have Serbian Cyrillic cursive for some things on BHT1. It is very beautiful, seriously, an art form! But I cannot read it! The S.O. got both alphabets all through school like most people here did in his school days, and he reads them both rapidly, even the cursive which gives me fits!
Still despite BHT1's best efforts to make it difficult for me, I am sometimes reading whole words before they can pull the caption.
A typical evening alone at home, I will search out some usually cheesy American film, or a nice British film, and watch it while reading sub-titles. Again that can go really fast. Useful shows for me have been 'Monk', 'CSI Miami' 'CSI Las Vegas' and 'Northern Exposure'. I kind of like 'Northern Exposure' for another reason, if the S.O. is there, I can boast about how many of the extras I know personally, a lot of people from the Yakima Reservation were extras. Many of them furthermore are active Democrats, so it's always a pleasure to see a few familiar faces! One night, Billy Yallup was on, and that was hilarious, I think I made the S.O. sort of jealous by talking about him!
Last night's veiwing ended after the the Japan-BiH friendly. Yes dear small but discerning readership... I watched a soccer game all on my own, without the S.O. being around, and actually except for how badly BiH lost, enjoyed the game.
Anyway if nothing else, the fans can be entertaining in their own way. Due to the distance there were not a lot of BiH Fanaticos in the stands. That was too bad, because those guy put on a SHOW that is almost worth the price of admission on it's own. The Japanese fans were out in force, flags, etc. The one group of Bosnian fans were there, with one very large flag. I felt bad for the Bosnian players, they really played well in the first half it was 0-0 then the second half the Japanese guy got a lucky break and then there was no stopping them. it turned into a 3-0 game.
It is not usual for me to watch a game on my own, any game, but now I have done it twice, and I am alive to tell the tale!
Yesterday while I was out, I brought home some suho meso to try, I got it in the Markale. Delicious, simply delicious. I made it with some of the kišeli kupis, (Thanks A.R.!) and it tasted lovely, but my stomach is out of order again today, despite the fact I did not eat a lot last night. I only made a little and cooked it forever, like 2 and a half hours, and it still made me feel ill this morning.
I bet the suho meso will be good with beans. I tried a few slices with horse-radish while I was waiting for the other stuff to cook. Delicious, has American jerky beat hollow.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter