Monday, January 28, 2008

 

A cold clear day....

So this weekend confirmed me as a fan of rukomet, handball, a weird team sport un-known in the U.S. I watched the Germany vs Denmark game with the S.O. and of my own free will, all alone, I watched the Croatia vs Denmark game. Yes you are living in a strange alternate universe!

Well to tell the whole story, not much that interested me was on T.V. besides the games last night, and the night before, because the S.O. like many men likes sports, we watched the game while dinner was cooking.

Unfortunately I do not do well with kisela kupis, it is a common winter food item here. It's very healthy, sort of a Balkans version of saurkraut. The S.O. instructed me to cook it more than usual and that helped. It also probably destroyed all the famous vitamins. As it was the earlier try at making sarama, and the earlier consumption of salata od kisela kupis did me absolutely no favors. I had really bad gas from it. Of course the S.O. did not believe me about the source, but it's been nearly a week since I last had beans, and I did not have that many of them.

S.O. can also stand for 'Stubborn and Obstinate'! haha!

News locally, some Roma juvenile delinquents, one born in Kosov btw poured gasoline on some poor old lady and set her on fire. She survived a few days but died last night. So now a nasty assault and battery situation is a murder. I hope they throw the book at those rotten little guys! I mean it is plain old psychotic to do stuff like that to people!

The other big news here is that the price of bread has been up and some wheat in the government reserves is not good, and can't be released for human consumption. There was some sort of scandal about cooking oil from the government reserves being labeled wrongly too. That led to a lot of covcrage on the news. More in fact than the nasty attack on the old lady.

Still a person could get an exagerated picture of crime here from the newspapers. It really isn't any more scary than back home. Seriously, it isn't. In some ways it is a bit safer. The locks on homes for example are far better, and many places even have bars on the windows. I wished at times I had them in the old neighborhood, not in the last two years, but four years ago there was a bit of gang activity beyoned grafitti. I used to have to call in shots fired pretty regularly, then there was the sword machete fight down th e block and a shooting.... So the gulag, small town or not could be dangerous too.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter