Friday, January 18, 2008

 

Cloudy again today...

Today I waited around a little to give the S.O. a chance to call me, it got to be about 10 am and nothing, well I was out just long enough to grab a newspaper and some milk to make more bread pudding. Milk here is ultra-pasturized, it is not cheap, it comes in small little boxes and the lids can be distressing to open and re-close. I found some that had a twist top, easier on my fingers. I went back to the flat, and watched a little T.V. There is a kids series on Makedonia, and they had Esme, the famous Roma singer. She gave the kids a tour of her house, and sang. She is no spring chicken at this point but she can REALLY sing.

I am revising my NaNo nove. My home computer has Open Office, and it gets very weird when you switch to Word, this needs to be in Word so that at the point I print out, it will look nice. The Open Office vs Word problem was a big fat pain when I was in school. I had to live in the computer lab for some of those Allied Health classes despite haveing a really good home computer.

I saw a guy hauling wood with a small tractor. The tractor was so small that it had a little two stroke engine. When I was here before, you did not see many people on bicycles, scooters or motorcycles, now you do see the occasional 'rice burner' and you sometimes even see Vespa scooters. Yesterday going home I saw a guy on a bicycle. Personally, I feel safer on foot. If I drove, and I don't I'd be scared stiff to drive here. Most drivers here really are not all that bad, it's the complex, Medieval tangle of tiny streets, especially in older parts of the city. In bad weather most streets turn into small rivers, either if there is snow and it melts, or if there is rain.

There might be rain today, it is cloudy, my ankle is bothering me, and my ears itch like mad.

On the news, it was announced that Mladic has not been in BiH, Federation or R.S. since at least 1997.

Total trivia: I made the BEST bread pudding EVER yesterday.

I do not eat a lot of bread, I only buy it if the S.O. is coming over. He eats a lot of bread, his favorite being Klas polobijelo. (half white for those of you in Rio Del) Anyway there were some left over ends lieing about and bread here has gone up in price. So I let them dry a bit, bread pudding takes dry bread.

seasonings,

fresh ground nutmeg, ground cinnimon, 5 cloves, a pinch of anis seeds.

a handful of raisins, five pitted and chopped dates.

1/3 cup of butter.

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

a couple heels of old bread. probably it comes to 1/4 loaf.

Fry the raisins, dates and spices in the butter, do not let it burn at all, put in the bread and just stir it around until the bread is coated in butter. Add more butter if you have to. Then put in the milk, when the milk boils, stir the bread around, and add the sugar. When it smells good, it is done.

It's fun to put a bit of whipped cream on top.

Comments:
Bon appetit!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter