Monday, December 03, 2007

 

Sunny yesterday, shades of gray today...

It is a bit bleak out, but I decided that I needed to get out of the house if only for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love my flat, it is one of the nicest places I've ever lived, but one needs to get out just to preserve sanity sometimes.

Last night, on Hayat, they showed a new series, 'Sivi Dom' which I liked. It was the first episode, and it is set in a prison in Serbia. Very good, I hope I can continue following it. It is on Saturdays and usually my S.O. visits. He tends not to like shows like that. He doesn't like any programs with shooting, so crime and war and most Sci Fi is out for that reason. I quite understand. He had enough personal experience with war in his life, so he is only protecting his mind. There are shows I do not watch for similar reasons.

Last night as well on F.T.V. they showed 'Tko tamo peva' I really liked it, it was sureal, and funny, and had this wonderful wood burning bus, that people were taking to Belgrade. It is a really great film and I recomend it highly. The characters are all funny and quirky, and the film gives an interesting picture of the WWII era in Yugoslavia. Not especially violent, but some shooting, one accidental. No blood, except for when there is a pig butchered. You don't see the pig killed though. Warning, if you don't like sad endings, this film is not for you, but if you like quirky old busses, which I do, and quirky characters which I do, and amazing landscapes, this film is for you.

Another show that has made my list of things to watch is for young people, it is called 'Zyon' and has weird characters. There is this ad for sardines that has become obnoxious it's on all the time, and they made fun of it. One guy runs around with a giganto moustach and a big sheepsking hat, and it's just crazy.

Kids shows here often actually have kids on them, real kids not prettied up kids. I like that a lot.

There is another show that in English would be called 'Trading wives' The women usually go from country to city and city to country. That of itself can be amusing. The other thing that happens is the new partnerships can result in a lot of bonding behavior. My S.O. and I speculated whether sometimes a bit more than we see on screen happens. He told me that one time a woman refused to go back home to her REAL husband, as she and the other guy fell for each other. The couples always have children, and seeing how the children react is interesting. The other thing is it gives an inside look at life in Croatia. That I enjoy a lot, seeing just every day things, like what is a farm like in Croatia as opposed to in the States or in Mexico. That is in fact fascinating.

Earlier today there was a show called 'Ovaj dio svijet' which was about people who live in the mountains here in BiH. They showed life in several remote villages. People have it very hard in the villages high up, and not a lot has changed since early in the 20th century for some of these places. Schooling is especially hard, because high schools are located so far away that most kids don't have the option of going. It would involve being boarded far away from home among strangers and of course that has financial and emotional costs. People work very hard too, and with fields that are nearly vertical, there isn't the option of using modern machinary. So people harvest with sickles and scythes and log with horses, fairly small horses I might add.

The people who live high up are very proud though and should be, not everyone could do what they do just to survive.

I have not wanted to go down into town these last few days. So nothing of interest to say about that. Mostly even though there is no snow, it's been too cold to go a lot of places.

I do need to go get a look at some of the museums. I have time to do it now that I am done with the novel. I am editing it. I took out one extraneous sub-plot that might work better as next year's NaNo.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter