Sunday, October 14, 2007

 

Well I got the the new phone to take my PIN

Well gentle readers, that is a huge relief, I really did not wish to go down to bother t he nice people at Eronet, I still don't know what was the big deal earlier, I did everything the same! Maybe it was just random weirdness. The only catch seems to be I can't call numbers outside of Sarajevo. Probably I could reach my S.O.'s mobile if it were working, it's on the same network, or was. That number seems to not be working.

That's a bit of a pain, but I do have Skype for say international type calls. Unfortunately this isn't a Skype friendly device, but it does seem to be otherwise useful.

The fun part is I haven't figured out how to change languages on this phone yet, I have located the video clip capacity, and the photograph capacity though, without referal to icons! :) and the radio capacity, it can pick up local F.M. So today I at least have one fewer things on the 'must do' list.

It's too early to call anyone local, but I do have someone in mind that I am going to need to call.

Oh last night, I attempted to send a description of my problem to the Customer Service part of the website, and the website was down, BUT I scored an English translation of the owner's manual, quite by accident! This was not the result of any mad research skills I may have. It looks like I understood all instructions perfectly well! :) I of course copied it for future reference, and book marked the page Just in Case.


Saw the Castro and Chavez man-date on Euro news, it was almost funny. Castro actually doesn't look too bad considering how ill he was. I guess the comrades got together to mark the death anniversary of Che.

Chavez sang Castro a song about Che. I understood every word. I worry about forgetting. I do deliberately watch some Spanish language media here, there's a T.V. station from Spain here, and there are a couple Spanish language soaps I catch, even though I can barely stand either of them, and a really funny show called 'El Refugio' which is a bit like the old American show 'Laugh-In' but seems more aimed at teenagers.

Last night I treated myself to 'Tvin Piks'. That is on the Republika Srpska station, and I watched on OBN, a very good film called 'K-19' It was in English, it was about a Soviet nuclear submarine, that runs into horrible trouble. It was tense, and very well filmed and written. The scenes of men with radiation sickness were very convincing.

It's on the list of films I recommend my readers see if the opportunity presents itself.

Off to explore the rest of this cell phone so that I will know what I'm doing with it.


Comments:
At least you're in Sarajevo. I can imagine watching Tvin Piks in RS would be rather a disturbing experience.
 
I remind you Owen that not all of Sarajevo is in the Federation! I can take a bus and be in Repulika Srpska in NO time! :)
Tvin Piks anyway is still a disturbing experience, because it came on right before the news Back in the Day, and I only was able to watch night-time news most of the time due to an evening job I had.
So Tvin Piks and the horrors of the Bosnian war as I saw it on T.V. blended in my mind at times.
For my mental self protection,and for environmental reasons, for years I only had a black and white set. As well back then, I don't know about now, the tubes from color T.V.s were extremely hazardous waste. So I had a small black and white for news and so the kids could see cartoons.
That way if something horrible was on the news I could lower the impact on my mind.
So seeing Tvin Piks with color is a new experience. The resolution stinks here even with cable, so it's fuzzy which makes it weirder.
I was a big fan of the show. The whole family were fans. My son had the same drama teacher as Kyle McLaughlin, he's a very successful escapee from the Yakima Gulag.
The same teacher told my son he ought to be an actor. He felt he was not handsome enough, and in any case too brown, but she said 'That isn't important, looks really aren't at all important, that's what make-up is for! What makes you good is you know how to take direction, but you know how to improvise in the right circumstances, that's what makes Kyle so good!'
The other show with Yakima Gulag connections is 'Northern Exposure' which I watch regularly too.
I personally know a few of the Native Americans who were extras on the show.
Both are really useful for improving my language skills, what I do is sit close enough to the set to read the subtitles, and it helps me learn new words and phrases.
Basically I ended up learning a lot of the language that way on my first three trips and even on-line because I could watch some of the shows here on-line.
 
Twin Peaks was an extraordinary show. I have shivers thinking of owls slipping off the branches of hillside pine forests in RS. Or maybe it's just that the temperature's dropping now it's the early hours of the anniversary of the Great Hurricane of 1987.

Watching programmes with subtitles is a great way of improving language skills but it does rather get in the way of your appreciation of the programme itself.
 
@Owen, the upside of the sub-titles thing is that I've seen most episodes of Twin Peaks more than once, so the subtitle thing is good, I can just read them and get things out of them, or if the show becomes too gripping that's fine, I can just watch. There's always more older American shows out there.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter