Sunday, October 21, 2007

 

Random notes

It continues cold in Sarajevo, yesterday I made my first outing in Sarajevo that at no point involved the very good taxi service available here. I took the bus into town and then a tram, and went to see my S.O. at his place. Then because I told him, I wasn't sure where to get the bus back, he showed me one bus stop for multiple lines, and we went to my place, since I have a typical single woman's fridge, next to nothing a GUY would want to actually eat, not even a guy who is health conscious, I said 'Let's go to Samshop and I'll get a few things for us.' So we went there. Now I'm used to buying my veggies in the Markale, but I was in no mood to carry a bunch of stuff on the bus. So I learned something else new, you have to go get your veggies weighed in the vegetable section of the store, before you can take them to check out! I had no idea! Anyway, I got a big hunk of soup meat with no bones, a cucumber, a cauliflower, and some wine, I let him pick the wine as he knows all the good regionally available lower priced wines. He chose something from Montenegro. It was delicious red wine, but I am afraid it could have given me a headache even though I only had one glass. I will once this clears up try one glass and make sure it's not to blame, because for the price it is very good wine. Otherwise I'm going to have start making mead here.
Once I have a good local source of yeast I was planning to make my own mead here anyway.

Newswise on FTV they reported on a commemoration of Queen Katarina Vukčić-Kosaća. Catholic Croat members of the Bosnian Army, government representatives, and the high Biship of Bosnia-Hercegovina all were present at Bobovac for a mass, held at the old church in the castle. It is semi restored but the congregation was outdoors and the celebrants under the roof.
It was snowing a little, and rather a touching ceremony.

The actual death anniversary of
Queen Katarina Vukčić-Kosaća is not until Wednesday, the 25 of October, but I imagine this will not be the only commemoration of her. She was the last queen of Bosnia, and still highly regarded by people here. She was not only the last queen of Bosnia-Hercegovina, but a learned woman.
It is fitting that she was commemorated there, where she spent some of the significant years of her life, and I was glad to see she was being commemorated in Bosnia.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter