Saturday, October 06, 2007

 

O.K. more about the phone situation

I thought for the Hell of it I'd try to use Skype to call my mobile phone here, and GUESS WHAT komrades? I can reach mobile numbers and I can sort of hear myself! That means that my friend S.V.U. better talk to her cell phone company, something is wrong with her reception on her phone!

Also her e-mail didn't work, I don't know how many times I have told people not to even BOTHER with the Yakima Gulag People's Institute of Higher Re-Education's free student e-mail, it malfunctions all the time! I never used it after the first three malfunctions.

Anyway I contacted the nursery her family owns in the Valley, and maybe she'll just e-mail me back from her stupid student e-mail so I can get something besides the stupid Mailer-Daemon from my e-mail.

It's nice to know I CAN call mobiles from Skype. It comes in fact as a real relief that I am even audible to myself on it.

That means I have some slight emergency ability to contact regular numbers. It's a nice back up given how annoy my experience so far with BH telecom's Ultra service has been. Mind it's probably not them, I probably didn't understand some small but critical bit of information.

It'll be o.k. I'll just see if I can find a cell phone shop where someone speaks a little English, or go to one of the many Internet clubs near the campus. When in doubt Ask a Nerd :).

My respect for both Bosnian workmen and Bosnian nerds is unbounded, the nerds here have a gift for dealing with people who need to talk slowly, and the workmen are very motivated. I see them out in this rain and I feel kind of bad and guilty sitting in my nice warm apartment while they bust their humps building more elite housing.

Comments:
Go outside and look around--- are you sure you're not in Tirana???
 
I'm positive that I am in Bosnia-i-Hercegovina, the flag over the Samshop is DEFINATELY the Petrich designed monstrosity, so unless the Bosnian Embassy in Tirana is a Samshop with a rain soaked parking lot, I know I'm in BiH!

Some of my problems with Skype b.t.w date from my time in the States. I've sent them some feedback about that. I've looked at all kinds of stuff about the problem I'm having.

I tried calling one of my other local contacts, someone I only know from Flikr, and I don't think she heard me. I'm not even trying her again until such time as she e-mails me back.

I don't want to like un-nerve her or anything. Phone calls where you can't hear the other person and you don't know them are pretty un-nerving.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter