Tuesday, September 25, 2007

 

Smile, you're on candid camera!

So today I had to go into town to take care of a little bit of business. I had to do some waiting too, so I wandered around Baš čarčija, until I was hungry, and then decided I simply must eat, went to the first čevapi place that had women and children present, and ate. Some deaf guy was discreetly peddling little keychain doohikies so I got one, since the keys to this place are on totally worthless jump rings that I can't put on a lanyard. I like to put my keys on something and have them around my neck, but you need a decent split jump ring to do that. So anyway, I tried not to wolf down the delicious čevapi too fast, they came with a generous helping of chopped onions and were fresh off the grill, served on fresh somun and since I only ate lightly last night and due to no water in the flat,The water went out right after I'd bathed and washed some clothes, so I had to turn off the boiler, and I didn't get myself some breakfast here, so this meal tasted even better.The funny thing that happened today is that several tourists seemed to be making a point of including me in their pictures! I didn't realize this until somehow I'd moved and I heard some French mild expression of disappointment. I'd moved OUT of not INTO the shot, and it was simply because of an uneven bit of stone, my ankles don't like that too much. I didn't even REALISE they were trying to photograph me. It was kind of funny now that I think about it! :)
Just to make a note of things, I was wearing an Indian outfit, .it's purple with sequin embroidery and I got a pashmina here that matches, and my purple flats from Macy's in the Yakima Gulag. A LOT of Bosnian people wear clothes that come from India, and a lot of the souvenier shops have things from India. Nothing against India, Indians need work too, but Bosnians should be making things to sell to the tourists, they should be making more Bosnian things, not just slipper socks and small wooden things and little shoes. And they should be proud to wear things from their country that look like they are from Bosnia. You know India didn't suffer by remaining Indian, anything BUT.
People feel sort of disappointed not to be able to buy traditional clothing from Bosnia for example. There is SOME but BOY you have to look, especially for the really good stuff. You do see some older ladies in fully traditional dress once in awhile, but seldom if ever do younger Bosnian ladies wear traditional Bosnian clothes going out, just members of folk ensembles do, and that's too bad.
I did today see in a shop some wonderful examples of traditional Bosnian jewelry, older stuff, it was lovely to look at. There were bracelets, that had turquoise, and that had filigree work, there were belt buckles for ladies belts, and there were earrings and necklaces. Everything was lovely.
It has been so far a really beautiful day.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter