Thursday, September 27, 2007

 

Bosnia Reconstructs...


IMAG0164
Originally uploaded by Yakima_gulag
There has been some stormy weather here in Sarajevo. This picture was taken after the workers were done for the day, I heard rain and wind and looked out to see this rainbow, so I decided to photograph it.You may want to click on the picture, go to my Flikr page and view it large, it's a very faint rainbow.
It's the fourth time I've photographed a rainbow, and this was thin, and delicate, hard to see in some pictures I took. It showed up best in this one.
Well, my landlord's father came to get the rest of the rent, I explained fully about the machines and limits, and thanked him for his patience.
He took my cell phone with him because one of his daughters is supposed to be good at figuring them out, the instructions are in Italian, and I don't really speak or read Italian. Supposedly if you can read Spanish, you can read Italian, that's only true to a point. I tried, I wasn't even going to plug the thing in until I totally knew.
I actually e-mailed the real owner in another country to get the message to his father,that I had the rest of the rent. since I was too tired yesterday to make a run into town to use a pay phone. Here you pay cash.
Unfortunately there is neither a post office nor other place with pay-phones nearby. That is kind of annoying, but then again, this is practically a new neighborhood.


Last night I was awakened by a huge lightening storm, sheet lightening and everything else, but it might brighten up today a little. I need to just go down the hill to Samshop and get some chocolate. For some reason I really want chocolate. I also want eggs and black bread.
I will need to wait for the landlord to show after 1, maybe 2pm to
bring my phone. He promised to pick up a pre-paid card for me too.
I don't want to do fixed line service, it's not necessary and it's a bigger added expense than just having a cell phone.

I found out from him that you can buy cards to use your phone at the post office, or even news kiosks, I don't think you really can at Samshop, he suggested it as a place. We'll see.

I kind of slept in this morning, because I was tired from waking up with all the lightening, I wasn't planning to go further than Samshop today, since I need to go into town tomorrow.
I still feel coldish, but a lot better than yesterday. It wasn't a bad cold like I got in Ireland. That was horrific and I was in a hostel the whole time. I would have gladly gone to a hotel, but there were simply NO rooms due to an All-Ireland final, between Kerry and Cork, and some rugby stuff. Anyway that meant I was going out every day, whether I felt up for it or not, and it was quite wearing really.
At least here, if I don't feel up for something I don't have to do it. I can stay in if I need to, which makes the going places far more fun.
Sarajevo is far busier than I remember it from before, way more cars, way more new cars.
Someone is making money and it's not just gangsters.

Comments:
It's really interesting hearing about the day to day experience of life in Sarajevo. More please.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter