Friday, September 28, 2007

 

Bez Struja

Most of today there was no power. My landlord came by to give me back my cell phone, he told me basically how it works, what sort of SIM card to purchase and where, so that I can get one. For some asinine reason, they cost nearly 30 KM on Friday, but on Monday they go back to 15 KM. So obviously I'm waiting until Monday Morning. Not ALL the power is back, the T.V. doesn't work, depriving me of local news and C.N.N. but, maybe it'll come back. From discussions I overheard in the hall, it sounds like the whole building was out. From about 8 or 9 am on I forget. Anyway, the fridge is excellent, the freezer kept stuff frozen properly, I still put in a couple water filled soda bottles.
Just In Case.
The stove here is a Gorenje stove, it's designed for people who can't make up their minds, gas or electric, or for power failures. I would have used it if I could have laid my hands on some matches. Not being a smoker, matches just are not something I keep around, but if the power is out, you need them to light the gas burners. Anyway, off to fry some nice low quality McCain's American Style potato wedges from Samshop where b.t.w. I couldn't find,
1. black bread
2. MATCHES!
3. lighters
All three are weird things NOT to have in a general supermarket. Well when I have to go inot to town tomorrow, I'll try to lay hands on some matches. I can get black bread on the way back hopefully. I just got stuff you don't have to cook against this sort of emergency in the future.

It's funny given all the pretty candles around here, which have been used that there are no matches in the Federation Mandated Junk Drawer*. I did look there.
As for my landlord, I think he's an observant Muslim, meaning if it happens he smokes, he wouldn't be carrying matches or cigarettes, because it's Ramzan and he's avoiding temptation.
Anyway, it was very nice of him to help me about the cell-phone.



*in the U.S. this would be the Federally Mandated Junk Drawer, but since I am in Federation BiH, it's the Federation Mandated Junk Drawer and far sparser!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter