Friday, August 03, 2007

 

Thank God it's Friday!

Yesterday things were a little crazy. I gave the old trunks to someone who could not come at the expected time yesterday, she ran later even than expected due to a doctor's appointment. The scheduler got her in WAY too early or the doctor was WAY over-booked and she elected to wait it out as it is hard to get rides sometimes, she like me is a non-driver. Anyway she showed up, I carried out two of the trunks, and it took both her friend and myself to take out the third one. I put some spices in there, and a few things that I thought she might enjoy. She had a time getting those things in, but her friend helped by bravely carrying the three trunks up the rickety stairs.

Anyway a lot happened in Balkans news yesterday, none of which I got covered.
I also have been putting out feelers for an apartment in Sarajevo. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me like housing prices have gone WAY up in Sarajevo. I have been keeping track of this for some time, as I've wanted to go there for a long time. Unfortunately I could not go when I wanted to. I could not sell my house when I wanted to, and while at least I did not sell at a loss, I did not sell at a profit either. Real estate prices are down here in the Yakima Gulag, they never were high. I'm rather glad I didn't get a super nice place, because actually a place in need of repairs stands a better chance of selling quickly in this type of market than a more modern place.
I just need a little place, a one room or a garsonjiera type of set up. I need a certain amount of privacy, and to be close to shopping and transit. It would be nice if there were a balcony and a lift, and I really need my own bathroom. I need a fridge, even just a small one, and I need a stove. I need Internet service. I don't need other amenities. I'm quite capable of getting a few towels. I don't have to have loads of furniture. I do need one closet or reasonable facisimile thereof.
What I want should not cost 200 euros a week like one place that responded to an e-mail. One place is 700 euros for three months. This isn't REAL bad, but it's probably more room than I absolutely need. It's a big place and probably really really nice. I may take it for a short time and see whether I can do better once there. Unfortunately, most of the subletting places online don't advertise cheaper places and I can't just get a copy of Oslobodjenje or other paper to check that out. It used to be there were LOADS of real-estate ads on Saraynet too. Lately that isn't so. Considering some of the prices I've seen, I may be better off staying in a hotel or pension or a hostel. I really don't need a full sized apartment. I really can't afford such a set up for very long. Obviously I'll keep looking and I'm sure ultimately I'll find something suitable.
One guy called me up at 4:05 a.m. which was alright, I often wake naturally at that un-Godly hour. I talked with him about his place, it is larger than I need, but nice, and not totally unreasonable. His price includes utilities, and if I am going to be in a bigger place, at least having that covered in the price would be a good thing. He seemed a nice fellow too. It may be his place I end up taking. I hate flying. I know it's probably going to be even less fun than before. I am going to go first class if I can. I dislike the crammed nature of coach. From the U.S. I need to make a stop in Ireland, one of my friends from the Abbey Hostel has her own flat now, and she's kindly invited me to visit her. I'm going to do it, because I can see her, and I can go do some of the things I had to miss out on because it was Winter when I was last in Ireland. It's going to be a pleasure to visit an Ireland that is at peace.

Yesterday's news today:

Well actually this item is today's news:

pecial team to investigate 17,000 suspects in 1995 Srebrenica massacre


http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/03/europe/EU-GEN-Bosnia-Srebrenica.php


Serbia: surge in murders shocks public

http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Security/?id=1.0.1173425730

What would Serbia sacrifice for Kosovo?

http://www.bbj.hu/main/news_29585_what%2Bwould%2Bserbia%2Bsacrifice%2Bfor%2Bkosovo.html

Bosnia Plans to Expel Arabs Who Fought in Its War


http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/world/europe/02bosnia.html?em&ex=1186286400&en=c96b427147131261&ei=5087%0A


Top envoy urges Bosnians to adopt police reform

http://www.eubusiness.com/Institutions/bosnian-police-reform

Odd skull shows Neandrathal AND modern human features

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070802-neanderthals.html

Ancient Bulgarian necklace found on shop-keeper's wife

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/City_Supplements/Bangalore_Times/Tale_of_an_ancient_necklace/rssarticleshow/2251388.cms

Cart ban infringes Gypsy rights

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n118464

Serbian ag minister joins Lippezaner row

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6928523.stm




Comments:
Well done, Lajcak.
 
You'd jolly well better make sure you've got Internet access!
 
no worries there, since I don't do T.V. I HAVE to have internet access! looks like fixed line phone is extra in the place I'm thinking of renting. I might want a fixed line in case of emergency.

I mean in an emergency one doesn't e-mail the police or the fire department, I wouldn't want the batteries out in my cell phone when I most needed it either.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter