Saturday, April 14, 2007

 

Rainy saturday.


Grenade explodes outside journalists home

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=21723


Just to point this out, this is an act of terror, and it probably wasn't committed by any Bosniak or Croat, or Albanian.


From joy to nightmare

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,21559321-3462,00.html

I feel bad for this poor couple. It's not right how they are being treated!

Not Balkans related, but of interest.

Iraqi Refugees in Sweden

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=6977


General Rose calls for impeachment of Tony Blair

http://colcam.blogspot.com/2007/04/general-calls-for-blair-to-be-impeached.html



Macedonian family claims '300' score

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21555169-38200,00.html

I've heard Sareivski in recordings and he was really great as a singer and a writer.

On a personal note, I slept rather late today. I still haven't heard from the guys about some hauling. I'm far likelier to hire people I actually know, because usually it's a bit cheaper, I know the work will be done as I ask, that sort of thing. One positive thing, a person from XSBaggage.com replied to an e-mail I sent asking for a rough idea about what luggage forwarding with his firm would cost. I was really appreciative that he replied. It may still be beyond my means, but at least they've done me the courtesy of replying promptly and on a weekend no less! :) That raises them considerably in my estimation. I suppose I need to get a damn sense of perspective too. Mailing stuff isn't cheap either, and this is the one option I see as open to me at all. If the house sells quickly, I won't mind the price. I did lay all my information out for the guy so he doesn't feel rushed, but let's put it this way, I appreciate the quick response again, especially on a weekend!

On another personal note, a sad one, a friend of mine from Sarajevo is in hospital now in in Dubrovnik. She has been now for over a week, it's like 15 days at this point. I don't know all that's wrong with her health-wise, but it's serious, she's an older person. I can imagine her husband is very distressed too. He can barely cook for himself. He's not like my S.O. who is a super cook. He can't even fry an egg.
I was married to someone from India and in the Indian culture, men learn to cook, their mothers teach them for a few reasons. Among Hindus women don't cook during a certain time of month. With Muslims, there may be a long time before a man can afford to marry, and a guy's mother teaches him to cook so that if he has to work abroad or there is a long time he isn't able to marry, he at least can cook for himself. My ex wasn't a very good cook, but he was capable of finding his way around the kitchen. He taught me some of the basics of Indian cooking and I got to be very good at it.
I think men should know something about cooking, and women should know some basic repairs. I raised my kids both to do some of each because my theory was some people get married just to have the skills of their partner available. That alone isn't a good reason to marry, but you'd be surprised.

I have the radio on blasting Run Rig, Run Rig is sort of Scottish Turbofolk, I love them. The guys and I used to cruise the Haight and put their stuff or the Cheiftains or the Wolftones on REAL LOUD! just to see the heads turn because it wasn't rap and it wasn't always in English.

Official Run Rig site

http://www.runrig.co.uk/

in case you are interested...

Comments:
Anastasijevic seems to be a pretty courageous sort of person. He stuck his head above the parapet over Medic's Skorpions as well so I wonder whether the timing of this explosion has something to do with their convictions. I guess the response of the Serbian authorities will tell us a little about which way the wind is blowing in Belgrade.
 
I hadn't thought of Run Rig as Scotland's answer to Ceca before!
 
on Run Rig, basically loud folk music started in the 70s, with Bob Dylan going electric, and then various Irish and Scots lovers of bagpipe music decided to explore the Macedonian bagpipe music, and electronic equipment began to be included in both Irish and Scots music. Run Rig is actually more overtly nationalistic than most turbofolk and it's very loud as well.
The main difference is a wardrobe one I guess, no one in Run Rig has decided to go for the many slashed gold gown or similar garments.
on Anastasjevic, yes he is a very brave man, and I agree, how much the government does to apprehend the attackers will tell us much.
 
By the way there are a couple of really lovely pieces to download at London Sevdah.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter