Monday, April 09, 2007

 

Bees

I meant to mention this earlier, and invite comment from readers in the various Balkans nations, on the radio last night on Coast-to-Coast A.M. the formerly Art Bell show.

Art Bell Show, 8th April 2007

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2007/04/08.html

In the monologue, Art Bell spoke about the situation of honey bees disappearing from everywhere, and callers called in to discuss it.
He gave a list of countries which have experienced the hive collapse syndrome, and Croatia was on the list, meaning it must be going on in other Balkans nations. I invite comment from people in a position to know about hive collapse syndrome.
Another thing, are there other types of bees? Bumble bees for example?
Various theories as to why this is happening were given. Again nothing that has been researched, only that there have been near catastrophic losses of bees, and given how much of the food supply for all of the animal world depends on bees, we need to find help for these dear insects.
I have a self interest here as a maker and consumer of mead. Just opened a bottle of English mead given to me by a former boss of mine, it's done according to a recipe of Henry the Eigth's and interesting stuff. I suspect it may be made from an unusual honey type. I like my own product better to be honest, but this isn't bad.
I'll put up a picture in a few hours, of the product, so you can know about it.
I have someplace to be really soon.

Comments:
Some have suggested that pollen is less nourishing, or that rough winters have led to hunger with bees, the other suggested possibility is neo-nicotine based pesticides. I encountered a bumblebee that looked not quite right. I photographed it, and that's up on flikr. Not a terribly clear photo though, anyway it had heavily loaded pollen baskets, and was in the grass rather than in a flower or flying home. I noticed it because of motion and the bright yellow of the pollen.
This time of year, the lawn services are out there with their poisons.
A friend of mine noticed the landlord had been by to spray the weeds, only the grass was dead instead.
Bees use the pollen from all flowers, some of the best stuff is from what we humans stupidly call weeds.
I think it's probably multiple causes, harsh weather, poisons, GMO pollens, molds, mites.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter