Monday, March 19, 2007

 

Less warm today..



taken on a sunnier day, watch at the end where the digger almost seems to be dancing! :)

Holbrooke warns of Kosovo explosion if plan stalls

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2007-03-19T110828Z_01_L19464409_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-KOSOVO-HOLBROOKE-COL.XML

Two Catholic Priests Attacked in Kosovo

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n108220

One doesn't often hear of incidents in Kosovo affecting Catholics, whether they are Kosovo Albanian Catholics or members of the small Croatian minority in Kosovo.

Kosovo to be discussed by Security Council today

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n108253


Scandalous Bulgarian Troops' Video Dated Back to 2004

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=78108

Greece Assists Russia's Return to the Balkans

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n108268


In the Yakima Gulag, the weather has cooled down. It's been unseasonably warm, so I put a lot of wash out today, I hope it gets mostly dry before I need to haul it in and let the heat kick on to dry it. I don't turn the heat on unless it gets REALLY cold now. It will kick on of itself if the house gets colder inside than 50 degrees. Frankly it hasn't kicked on in a couple days, and that's fine.

NPR had a story about the Cervantes Institute and projects relating to the Ladino or Judeo-Spanish language. The story mostly related to Thessalonika and Sofia, cities which were home to many Sephardic Jews before WWII. Sarajevo as well had a significant Sephardic community, I think the Cervantes Institute needs to pay some attention to Sarajevo as well...
Anyway there was some exquisite Sephardic music as a bumper for this and Robin has promised some Sephardic pieces in this morning's mix.

The local capitalist radio station: One of the announcers has been suffering gout. Gout is awful, I've had it, and I'm female, I was only in my mid 30s when I suffered the attack. It was easily cured by massive gorging on fresh cherries. This man had his sufferings lessened by concentrated cherry juice brought in by a listener. I called in and also said 'horseradish helps, it's a good thing to eat with ANY food that might cause an attack and in some parts of Eastern Europe people eat it three times a day because the whole diet can cause gout.'
I had gout while pretty close to vegetarian. I gave the kids most of the meat, since at that time I wasn't earning a lot, and they were still growing. I ate meat twice a week tops. They hated lentils, so rather than make them suffer, I made them burgers and ate lentils myself. Sometimes there was no choice, we all would eat lentils. Anyway, lentils are one of those foods that will cause gout. I had it in both feet, it was a VERY good thing I worked from home at the time. I sent my son out back to pick cherries, not usually his job, but I couldn't and I ate them until stuffed to the gills and was nearly instantly cured. I know from experience even maraschino cherries will help. That's how I cured a lesser attack a few years later. Since then, despite eatting a lot of foods that can bring it on, I haven't had an attack. I eat lots of cherries, and also eat horseradish regularly. The horseradish hasn't just helped prevent another attack of gout, it's also helped me get over a really annoying seris of stomach problems.
I am lactose intolerant. I find it's worse if I mix meat and dairy. So at home I don't do that obviously. Sometimes though I'm out and if I'm with friends who don't understand this problem, I will eat what's set before me. After all it's not going to kill me, just make me hog the bathroom for a bit. Still it's nice that this humble little plant has helped so much.
We may be getting some slightly less pleasant weather here soon, high winds.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter